Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pest guys - squirrels in the attic

After a weekend away I come home to what I think are squirrels in the attic. We heard the scampering in the walls and I went to look. Found. A few small holes in the roof vent at the end of the house. Something has chewed te screen. I will fix that. I see no evidence of droppings or chewing. Is there a poison that works good? Was going to just get rat poison bait and place around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not a pest guy but I did have squirrels in my attic once. The trick is to leave the area they got in open until you know they are out, then re-screen. Have a heart traps work well. If you bait and poison you most likely will have dead squirrels in your attic and the smell will run you out of the house. Hopefully a pest guy will add their recommendation. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Had this happen as well, I have a pellet rife that I use to control the problem.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wilson,
Had a customer with a family of squirrels and opossum's living in his attic. The AGFC officer came out along with a trapper. They used cotton balls soaked with finger nail polisher remover. Throw them in the opposite area you suspect them to be staying. We put about 30 cotton balls in this man's attic and returned the next day. After the varmints were gone, then he hired to repair the whirley bird vent cap.
This technique may work for you.................the odor may get into the house a bit but the stuff will evaporate in a few hours.
The worse thing will be new broods of babies and chewed wires. Causing you a lot of money in repairs.
If you don't want to mess with this, contact the Game and Fish Commission and or a Veterinarian for assistance.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is something with the formaldehyde in romex that the babies love to eat. When all else fails and food runs short, all will eat the coating off the electrical. These pests cost my father 6K in romex repairs back in the early 90's.
It is hard when they get down the walls!!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Stake out with a .22 sounds like a good plan
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

couple of hungry kitties up in the attic for a few hours should help too (you do not mention what type of attic you have.. finished or open insulation, blown insulation.. ?) If it's not a finished attic, avoid putting other animals up there to flush them out..
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Set a conibear 110 trap at the entrance/exit. Make a tunnel/square out of hardware cloth and attach it to the house over the hole. Set the conibear trap inside the tunnel of hardware cloth. Seal off multiple exits and only leave one open to trap. You can tell in the conibear if they are coming or going. After a few days of not catching anything that is going out of the attic seal it up tight.

Edit. Make sure to secure the conibear with a metal chain attached to the cage.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Put some repellant in the attic. We normally put the product in panty hose so after the squirrels are gone you can take down the product. Bat a away is a good product for this.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Call a pro...like...Critter control.
Worked at my house when we had a squirrel get down the chimney. He got caught in the heat exhaust pipe--just above the water heater.