Register free!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that closing up the hole when the critters are gone would be the best approach

22 would be a bad idea shooting up or use bird shot

In most places conbairs are illegal out of water what would happen if your cat decided to check out that hole ( ouch )

You may have to use a heaver wire over top of the screen

Charles Cue
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Squirrels are a bit difficult to control if you cant find the entry point. If you look in the attic you can usually determine the entry point due to obvious insulation disturbance & cracked nut/acorn shells. Common points of entry are gable vents, corners of boxing, buckled ridge vents, & more obvious structural damage such as holes in boxing.

If you can locate the entry point, I recommend installing a one way door to exclude the squirrels you have. Depending on if there gray or flying squirrels they may try to make re-entry, so its a good idea to mount a trap at the end of the one way door for a week or two such as this combo: http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.c...usion-Products
If you look at how its made its not difficult to make your own one way door & buy a hav-a-hart trap locally at a box store, the trap retails for 19.99 here locally. Once the activity has stopped & your certain you no longer have any squirrels in the attic, seal the holes using hardware cloth or flashing. Make sure to spray the area in and around the hole with a 50/50 water bleach solution to kill any pheromones left behind that will attract new rodents.

Repellents have very mixed results at best, the last thing you want to do is drive the squirrel into the home, they can cause more damage than you can imagine in a very short period! I went to one home where a squirrel had jumped on & knocked off almost every picture hung in the customers basement, & had chewed the framing off the window panes in an attempt to get out. They had moth balls in panty hose along with mouse traps hanging from strings in the attic, I asked the customer why the mouse traps & they said "to catch the flying squirrels" lol! Leave the quick tricks to the home owners, I have never failed to control a customers problem via these true & tested methods that I listed here.

Wildlife control used to be a great stream of revenue for us before the economy took a nose dive & those customers with the extravagant homes built in the mountain golf course communities moved out. Its better to deal with the squirrels sooner than later, as they choose one central area as a restroom area, that will eventually show up as a yellow stain on the interior ceiling.

If you cant find any entry point, you can place two cages in the attic, bait them with chewy oats & honey granola bars & manually catch & remove the squirrels. Squirrels love to be directly over showers/tubs with fiberglass ceilings as the heat attracts them, thus an excellent place to trap. How you dispose of the squirrels depends on your local & state laws, for instance in South Carolina relocation is illegal but it may be legal in your state.

Good luck with it!