Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Greenhouse Gases

Does anyone in this forum have any experience with greenhouse gas emissions with mower, trimmers, etc?

I'm bidding a contract for a high-end commercial site that prides themselves on their low environmental footprint and in one section of the bid documents they want us to state our GHG ratings of our equipment and trucks.

None of my manuals for our turf equipment shows this information so I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I've never been asked this before, by a customer, but it's probably a sign of the times. I figure it couldn't hurt to have this information anyway. I'm wondering if I'll need to have all of the equipment tested individually or what?

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out to the forum and see what comes back.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are they shooting for LEED?

I have not read the LEED score card for some time but that sounds like some of the pie in the sky stuff they have. I have never seen this on a truck much less a mower.

I know there are some electric trimmers and mowers these days. Put is a solar panel on the truck and a small quite generator too
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFuller View Post
Does anyone in this forum have any experience with greenhouse gas emissions with mower, trimmers, etc?

I'm bidding a contract for a high-end commercial site that prides themselves on their low environmental footprint and in one section of the bid documents they want us to state our GHG ratings of our equipment and trucks.

None of my manuals for our turf equipment shows this information so I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I've never been asked this before, by a customer, but it's probably a sign of the times. I figure it couldn't hurt to have this information anyway. I'm wondering if I'll need to have all of the equipment tested individually or what?

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out to the forum and see what comes back.

Thanks!
The only thing you can do is email the mfg. and keep/print their reply, to include in the pkg.

......AMF!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://sustainableppn.asla.org/2010/...ed-landscapes/
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
I have seen those factoids before but it does not address what the OP needed. He needed a statement from the MFG on the GHG ratings of the equipment.

Mowed lawns do return a lot of carbon to the soil provided you are mulching the clippings on site.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I tell them you're busy visiting your brother in prison this weekend because he was messing with the copper still when the law come around and things got way behind but once you git thar yeast to brewing and the corn'a popping we'll see what you can do to shoot them over that thear info.

Seriously I mean F that S, folks realize all small engines, when it comes to emissions, it's all the same thing?
Who they think they kidding, that some kind of a noob test, maybe they testing you?

They don't have no dang catalytic on them.
There's no emissions control on a small engine.
It's all the same, fuel and air in one end, exhaust and emissions out the other.

So iffen they ain't 20 years old and burning oil due to bad rings or improper oil mix it's an very simple formula of x tons / year x 100 cc @ 100 psi compression, pretty much.

Now I gotta get back to the shine, thank'y'all and see ya 2013

Last edited by herler; 12-31-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So ... switch to electric trimmers. They will love and and you will get the bid. Put solar pannels on the south side of your trailer to recharge the batts. (Mostly for show) as you will probably need to charge the many batts and spares in the usual way, every night. And if you can use a propane powered clean burning mower or two--so much the better

Otherwise, of course, four cycle trimmers burn a lot cleaner than smoky two cycle.
Otherwise, its mostly a function of the gas you use. A gallon of gas produces a certain amount of carbon dioxide...the less gas you use the better. Diesel slightly more efficient.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Seriously I mean F that S, folks realize all small engines, when it comes to emissions, it's all the same thing?
Who they think they kidding, that some kind of a noob test, maybe they testing you?

They don't have no dang catalytic on them.
There's no emissions control on a small engine.
It's all the same, fuel and air in one end, exhaust and emissions out the other.

So iffen they ain't 20 years old and burning oil due to bad rings or improper oil mix it's an very simple formula of x tons / year x 100 cc @ 100 psi compression, pretty much.

Now I gotta get back to the shine, thank'y'all and see ya 2013
I'm thinking you need to leave the shine alone. Emissions are on literally everything now. Including trimmers. Shindaiwa was putting cats on their trimmers years ago. And here's a mind bender for you.. Some mowers even have computer controlled fuel injection now. Yes way!

Stihl and Shindaiwa's 4 stroke small handhelds are smoking (pun intended) everybody else in the emissions department. They're ready for standards that aren't even written yet.

To the OP, the data you seek on GHG is available here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...55534169,d.b2I

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the link to all years of this GHG data that they have.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/certdata.htm#smallsi

Tags
ghg's , greenhouse gas emissions , mowers , trimmers