Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interview Questions

Im in the process of adding some guys for next year. What are some questions you guys ask when interviewing someone. At my last landscaping job i didnt have an interview so im trying to get an idea of questions to ask
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do a working interview. Helped me a lot may cost you a bit but well worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also curious about this. For guys who say they are experienced, i have them meet me on a job and work a day. Then i can see how they do the work and a little of their work ethic. Recently i put an ad out for a laborer/helper and got a bunch of calls from guys with experience. I hired the one guy who only worked in restaurants his whole life. That way i can teach him how I want it done. He was also the only one to provide a resume with references!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had thought about doing a working interview. I would like to have at least 1 of the guys hired before the season starts so i can show him the cutting route and everything related to that. I really looking for one guy with good experience who i can trust cutting with the other guy while im off doing bush hogging or other jobs. The 2 guys im mainly looking for are to cut grass. So i guess im almost looking for a crew leader and then a laborer
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Questions to ask.

Have them fill out an application. Ask them about their prior employment. How long they worked there? Why they left? If you need experience, like a crew leader, ask them what specific experience they have? Details like what kind of trimmer have you used? What mower did you use on your last job? How many lawns would you mow in a day. What type of lawns were they? Make sure you check thier references? Did I say, Make sure you check their references. Do you have a drivers license? Have you had any tickets against your drivers license? Check their driver license record. Oh and make sure you call their previous employers.