Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2003, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont have the insight for a machine like this, then you dont need to be owning one. I can see this machine as being very productive.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Save'n up for one are ya? No? ... nuff said
Old 01-31-2003, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I seen one at the GIE last year....$4200. Looks like they might be good for something like Disneyland or a university. They really dont look that uncomfortable. You are not putting all your weight on your knees and this one was a hydro.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-31-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walker-talker
I seen one at the GIE last year....$4200. Looks like they might be good for something like Disneyland or a university. They really dont look that uncomfortable. You are not putting all your weight on your knees and this one was a hydro.

MATT
That's dam cheap compared to the price they gave me- $11,099. I know I would rather a ZTR anytime then that machine. I just don't have eough trimming & blowing to justify it. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Ok Bluesteel, with all that said (interesting stuff too). Why won't it work? So far you've only said it was ugly, and we know that's irrelevant.

Are you saying there's simply no market for this product and if so, please explain?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Well … first of all, I could be totally wrong. Because there is a market for this machine. The question is; is that market big enough to justify producing it? I know lots of ways to analyze that for a quantitative answer, but it all comes down to the accuracy of the data, which means its all just SWAG. Lots of people will say, “Hey, look a that,” or “Cool idea man.” How many will actually save cash to buy one? The only votes that count are the ones with dollars. Look at the numbers of reactions it got from the people who first posted here, versus how many people just looked. I bet the majority of those people that looked and didn’t post a reaction decided it wasn’t worth wasting their time. Discounting our discussion here, less than 5% bothered to respond, and those 5 posts were highly negative. But $4,000 or more for specialized equipment with limited reach like this one? Yes there probably would be “some” applications.

Second, ugly has a lot to do with it from a marketing standpoint. If you can’t see that, it makes me wonder if you’re emotionally attached to this product in some way or another. But on the good side, something that struck me right away was targeting paraplegics. That would be AWESOME! Not that I need any more competition, but with a few modifications, a ZTF-like machine could open up a lot of opportunity for those guys. For instance, why not use a bigger engine with a PTO to power an on-board 1,500 cfm blower? Here’s a wild idea, how about mounting a swiveling trimmer holder on top of a steering joystick? LOL. But as the product stands right now, I just don’t see it having a significant place in the market.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Banned

Just for the record, if I recall correctly, the literature from last year did make some sort of mention about marketing it to other industries (I think).

Also, keep in mind that Lawnsite is only a small fraction of the LCO's in the industry. And of all the members here, only a very small number have even seen this thread (or will look at this thread because they don't know what the subject line is about).

I do agree though that they probably aren't going to sell a ton of these things. I think the market is going to be kind of small for this, but I do believe there is a market .
My problem was with the way some were jumping all over it saying it was a waste, and wouldn't even take the time to consider that SOME companies will really benefit from this machine. That they couldn't see past thier small half acre lawns as if that's all there is out there.

Either way, I surely wish Jungle Jim the best of luck. I think it's an innovative product that has potential. I don't see is too differently then ZTR mowers and ride on spreader/sprayers. It's just going to take a while for people to accept change and see the potential of this machine.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jusmowin
I couldnt use anything like that, but I could see if a company maintained a large mall or maybe a large acreage mowing account. That would be a leathal little leaf pusher with a JRCO leaf blower buggy on the front of that thing. Just my 2 cents!
If you have a large enough account, you obviously have enough employees to manage the account also.

If you have a need for this machine you spent your money the wrong way.

BIG WASTE OF MONEY.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
If you have a need for this machine you spent your money the wrong way. BIG WASTE OF MONEY.
And, did anyone forget that "walking" is good for you. Doesn't do you any good to rider all over, make a ton of money, and die from a Heart attack from lack of exercise..........
Old 01-31-2003, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will agree with LGF and swicthless, and yes I was one at the beginning of the post that said it is a waste of money and yes I do big commercial accounts not just little half acre propertys. Also it is just something else with an engine that you would probably have one heck of a time finding parts for. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion.