Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
the min per cut varies from location to location. it's not cutting yourself short if that's where your market is in your neck of the woods.
I think you're missing it. The OP ran CL ads lowballing to get the calls. I'm willing to bet good money that the market in his area is WAY higher then what he's offering.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleLawncare View Post
If I was getting 30 calls a day this is what I'd do....

Buy a couple used S10's, put your logo on the side. The S10's wont eat tons of gas and can still haul a small trailer/mower just fine. Find a couple small 6x10 or 6x12 trailers, purchase another hydro 36" and a couple push mowers. Hire a couple guys at $9-10/hour.

I don't see any reason each guy shouldn't be able to do 12 lawns a day by himself.

So for example now you have 3 trucks out mowing 12 lawns each day Mon-Fri.

3 trucks x 12 lawns = 36 lawns per day

36 lawns x $25 = $900.00 per day gross income

Wages: 2 employees x $10 an hour x 8 Hours = $160 per day.

Gas/Misc Expenses: $200.00 per day (strictly a safe guess, but much more than you say you spend a day.)

Your daily estimated operating costs are around $360 per day and you gross $900.00 per day give or take. This leaves you with a net profit of around [B]$540.00 per day.[B]

You could even hire a 3rd worker to run your truck, sit at home and watch the price is right and still pocket over $400 a day.

I realize there are other numbers/costs and variables, insurance, etc.. to figure in, this is just an example of another way to think about making your business more productive and profitable since acquiring accounts doesn't seem like an issue.

Good Luck!
These numbers are so far off it's not even funny. Do you really think there's a "net" profit of $540? More poor advice.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I think you're missing it. The OP ran CL ads lowballing to get the calls. I'm willing to bet good money that the market in his area is WAY higher then what he's offering.
well that IS different story.

but i don't think its uncommon on this site for someone from say maine to make a statement about how $25 per cut is too low, when there talking to someone from say ohio. for example purposes of course.

i don't think there is a NATIONAL average. each state is going to have it's own numbers.

but i do agree with what your saying about lowballing on CL.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would rather have the work and the tons of calls VS not hardly getting any work or calls. The issue with my area is there's TONS of lowballers that will cut for even cheaper than I will. Every where you go theres a small truck with a trailer and a walk behind mower and a trimmer on a rack. Sure not EVERYONE has a lawn business that hauls a mower but the majority that have a walk behind or zero turn are guys cutting lawns for hire. Most of them people you see do it cheaper than $25 a cut from the ones I've talked to.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on the size of the lawn and the quickness in which you can get the machine off and running...

What is really stupid in most cases, is using a huge huge ztr to do a postage stamp yard... I started out pushmowing with 21" mowers and never spent more that 1/2 hr on any of those places... high schoolers used to bicycle around town with pushmowers rolling behind them and the PRO brings in a dump truck w/trailer and a 48" ztr to do the same lawn... then unloads the trim mower and weed whips afterwards and takes 2 guys 45 minutes from the time they shut off the truck until the start it up again...

Call it lowballing if you want to but somethings are just efficient enough to not require large sums of money...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I do postage stamp size lawns with my 52" grandstand and am in and out in 15 min
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's pretty common in my area to see rigs with nothing smaller than a 60 inch ZTR and for them to weed-wack any place they can't get with it. Tight maneuvering with a large mower on a small lawn can lead to a lot of turf damage.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

on postage stamp lots why would you even use a ztr, we use two 21" ers one in the back and one in the front in and out in less than 15mins for basic service, at some point you have to apply common sense to the equation.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well that IS different story.

but i don't think its uncommon on this site for someone from say maine to make a statement about how $25 per cut is too low, when there talking to someone from say ohio. for example purposes of course.

i don't think there is a NATIONAL average. each state is going to have it's own numbers.

but i do agree with what your saying about lowballing on CL.
Actually, price varies by neighborhood and customer, I do wish there was a national avg, but that's dreaming LOL. Smallstripes, What your saying is your letting the market and competitors decide what you charge, instead of knowing your numbers and charging approartialy(sp).
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
on postage stamp lots why would you even use a ztr, we use two 21" ers one in the back and one in the front in and out in less than 15mins for basic service, at some point you have to apply common sense to the equation.
there's a difference right there. your working with 2 people. I'm solo. the quickest I've been able to do a yard with a 21 incher is 30 min.

lets see 15 min with the grandstand or 30 with the 21 incher. that's a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Actually, price varies by neighborhood and customer, I do wish there was a national avg, but that's dreaming LOL. Smallstripes, What your saying is your letting the market and competitors decide what you charge, instead of knowing your numbers and charging approartialy(sp).
actually all I'm saying is the market is different from state to state, city to city, etc.

I hardly let the market and my competitors decide what I charge. you should know that by now. I know my numbers and what I wanna make and I charge according to that, not what the market is or my competitors are charging. remember I'm the guy who would charge $35 if it made me what I wanted to make even if the market is $50.