Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
there's a difference right there. your working with 2 people. I'm solo. the quickest I've been able to do a yard with a 21 incher is 30 min.

lets see 15 min with the grandstand or 30 with the 21 incher. that's a no brainer.

actually all I'm saying is the market is different from state to state, city to city, etc.

I hardly let the market and my competitors decide what I charge. you should know that by now. I know my numbers and what I wanna make and I charge according to that, not what the market is or my competitors are charging. remember I'm the guy who would charge $35 if it made me what I wanted to make even if the market is $50.
Is that a pile of money laying there on the table? Well if nobody else wants it, I'll take it.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm making profit and the bills are paid and my kids are fed I'm happy. If I charge way more than what the market in my area is then I won't get any business. Its easier to get business if I'm charging right at what the market is or slightly under and knowing I'll still make profit. You have to remember there's tons of guys with ford rangers, mini vans, ford explorers, etc...pulling a trailer with a trimmer rack, blower, and a walk behind mower and a sign saying lawn care $20.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
If I'm making profit and the bills are paid and my kids are fed I'm happy. If I charge way more than what the market in my area is then I won't get any business. Its easier to get business if I'm charging right at what the market is or slightly under and knowing I'll still make profit. You have to remember there's tons of guys with ford rangers, mini vans, ford explorers, etc...pulling a trailer with a trimmer rack, blower, and a walk behind mower and a sign saying lawn care $20.
I understand, it's that way in every city and town in the country, there's guys running around everywhere, you have to have something they don't, not just lower prices. Even Walmart is struggling and they always CLAIM to have the lowest prices, what they've discovered is you can't compete on price alone.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay so I'll break it down for you. 10 lawns a day 5 days a week is 50 lawns a week.

$25 a lawn. Minus $10 for taxes and expenses (we all know its not $10 per lawn for 1/2 acre or less lawns).

Thats $15 a lawn profit. That's $150 a day in my pocket which is way more than any minimum wage job will pay. That's $750 a week and usually 4 weeks in a month so thats $3000 profit. How am I wrong?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Someone help this poor guy out! he actually thinks he's only got $10 in expenses!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Someone help this poor guy out! he actually thinks he's only got $10 in expenses!
Maybe that's all he's got. I remember reading on Just Mowing and his expenses weren't that much more than $10/yard, and he had office personnel, lots of crews, expenses etc.

So, Small Stripes could possibly only have $10 in expenses.

Not trying to pick apart your reasoning but it is possible.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's ins, advertising, gas for the truck and mowers, tires for the truck and trailer, oil changes for the truck and mowers, blades, string for the trimmers 2 cycle oil for the handhelds, food and drinks everyday, I could go on and on and you haven't even put anything away in savings for the winter yet. C'mon you haven't even paid yourself yet are you really gonna work for $10-12/hr?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Maybe that's all he's got. I remember reading on Just Mowing and his expenses weren't that much more than $10/yard, and he had office personnel, lots of crews, expenses etc.

So, Small Stripes could possibly only have $10 in expenses.

Not trying to pick apart your reasoning but it is possible.
When your doing huge volume you can spread your expenses out, but not a solo guy with 50 lawns.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

obviously solo operating is keeping costs at a minimum, but how much can you grow by yourself? Do you want to grow? Some guys are perfectly happy because they are doing what they love, making an ok living.. and making more than they were at a, b , or c company
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I've been told a thousand times that there really are guys that just want to make a few dollars and that's it, it just boggles my mind why you don't have enough gumption to go after something more.