Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Been solo about 95% of the time, as I am right now. It works very well for me. My daily routine (during mowing season) is comprised of waking up at 6:00am and having my last yard of the day complete by 4:00pm. I unload my trailer, return phone calls, and close out the day's paper work from 4:00 - 5:00. From 5:00 - 10:00pm, it's my time for whatever (usually a 40K on my bicycle). Life is good.
How do you handle the morning dew on the grass with early morning mowing 7-9am ish and not be forced to bag clippings...?

With the pending demise of other profitable yet tedious business I'm expanding 40-60% this season...still as a solo based op but hopefully a few PT folks who can pitch hit here and there. Time will tell....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
How do you handle the morning dew on the grass with early morning mowing 7-9am ish and not be forced to bag clippings...?

With the pending demise of other profitable yet tedious business I'm expanding 40-60% this season...still as a solo based op but hopefully a few PT folks who can pitch hit here and there. Time will tell....
Posted via Mobile Device
Number one, I always keep the blades sharp. Secondly, I normally double cut if dewey. There are 2 ways to double cut. You can go forth and then back over the same stripe before proceeding to the next one, or you can mow the whole yard once, then again in a perpendicular direction. I prefer the latter because it allows the cut clippings to dry out a little as the sun comes up, and it allows for the coveted "plaid stripes".
I do not however lower the deck on the second go around. I find that mowing it twice at the same deck height does better than raising the deck for the first round, then lowering it to the desired height for the second round.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Number one, I always keep the blades sharp. Secondly, I normally double cut if dewey. There are 2 ways to double cut. You can go forth and then back over the same stripe before proceeding to the next one, or you can mow the whole yard once, then again in a perpendicular direction. I prefer the latter because it allows the cut clippings to dry out a little as the sun comes up, and it allows for the coveted "plaid stripes".
I do not however lower the deck on the second go around. I find that mowing it twice at the same deck height does better than raising the deck for the first round, then lowering it to the desired height for the second round.
Yup that's what I do for the most part...even when it's later in the day and near ideal mowing conditions. most of my lawns are double cut unless I bag....or am forced to due to wet conditions or excessive growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky most of my clients complain if I start any earlier than 9AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well I've been in the business 7 years now.

I'm 31. mow 10-12 lawns a day 4-5 days a week. $25-$32 (average) per cut.

I'm pretty successful at it, by my terms anyway.
Those are some miserable prices.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even when I was solo I wouldn't mow for anything less than $40-$45, on a postage lot! So Yea that's how I grew my business by not lowballing. I just don't have the mentality to leave money on the table. It has nothing to do with wanting things or getting rich or any of that, it's called being in business to make money, that's why I do what I do I enjoy what I do and want to be paid a fair salary for it, and $25/yard isn't a fair salary, except for the customer who's getting one hell of a deal.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Even when I was solo I wouldn't mow for anything less than $40-$45, on a postage lot! So Yea that's how I grew my business by not lowballing. I just don't have the mentality to leave money on the table. It has nothing to do with wanting things or getting rich or any of that, it's called being in business to make money, that's why I do what I do I enjoy what I do and want to be paid a fair salary for it, and $25/yard isn't a fair salary, except for the customer who's getting one hell of a deal.
Good point. I have noticed waaaaaay too many people on here who complain about lowballers, but don't know how to handle them. I believe educating the consumer is what puts lowballers out of business.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
well maybe in SC $25 per yard isn't a fair salary but come to IN and try and charge $40-$45 for these $25 yards and see what happens. you'd be out of business REAL QUICK.

that's my point. the market IS different in different locations. cost of living is different as well. everything for that matter is different.

just because it costs you X amount in SC to run your business doesn't mean it cost that same X amount in IN to run it. so you can't look at what it costs you and apply the prices I'm charging and say I'm not making money. you have NO IDEA what it cost me to run my business.

not to mention not everyone has the same goals when it comes to making money. some could be happy making $30k a year. others want $50k. and still others want even more.

a fair salary? what's fair to me for any business I own or any job I work is to be paid enough money to live what I consider a decent living.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Due to cold nights and hot days here in NH the dew sometimes lasts until 11am! It is critical to have a mower that mows in wet conditions to survive. This is why I dont understand why so many people dont research or even demo in wet conditions before buying equipment. I find double cutting a huge waste of time and money and rarely have to do it. I start at 7 am and even mow in the rain until the ground gets to soft. There are a few decks I have found that allow me to mow and not double cut. The Velocity, X-Factor and 7 Iron come to mind first as the best all around decks at least on northern grasses. Exmark continues to dominate the northeast despite horrible clumping in wet grass. Every morning I pass the coffee shop on the way to work and its full of guys waiting for the grass to dry. I always think to myself why would you run a business that way?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't mess with waiting for morning dew to burn off either. I use exmarks and toros. NO clumping on my lawns. and that's with a single pass.