Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I haven't been on lawnsite in awhile but its sad people don't even believe each other. From the beginning of March to the end of June I usually get the 30 calls a day or so. I do turn down a TON of work but a lot of the people call me because they see I do quality work and I do get tons of calls from word of mouth. Now the word of mouth clients I do feel bad not taking on but hiring help just adds more headache. I've seen quite a few people on here mention they'd rather stay solo and keep quality accounts instead of taking what ever they can get to keep employees busy.

I only use a 36in mower because anything bigger wouldn't fit in the gates and a lot of my properties have slopes/hills and I would rather not use a bigger zero turn or even a bigger walk behind on them properties.

As far as my pricing and sizing of property. There all under 1/2 acre and a lot of them are less than 15,000 sq feet and most are less than 10,000 sq feet. A lot of guys JUST for mowing, edging, line trimming, blowing charge around $25 to $35 which is what my average is.
If you are getting 30 calls a day for 3 months. That comes out to 900 calls a month. That would equal 2700 calls for those three months. I have been in this business for 15 years. Owing my business and working for a 40 employee landscaping company. The 40 employee company doesn't even get that amount of calls. Not even close. So, you are telling me you get 2700 calls in 3 months as a solo operation? I know the internet is full of BS artist and I'm calling you out. Plus, when I hit your website it was deleted or not paid. It looks like you know what you are doing.

You see a ton of people say they want to stay solo because the majority of lawn mower guys are solo. They can't offer anything else because of their lack of education, they don't want too learn, fear of success, etc.

I would suggest you stay solo because that's what you want to do. Nothing wrong with that but don't lie. Veteran guys can see right through you.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelawns View Post
If you are getting 30 calls a day for 3 months. That comes out to 900 calls a month. That would equal 2700 calls for those three months. I have been in this business for 15 years. Owing my business and working for a 40 employee landscaping company. The 40 employee company doesn't even get that amount of calls. Not even close. So, you are telling me you get 2700 calls in 3 months as a solo operation? I know the internet is full of BS artist and I'm calling you out. Plus, when I hit your website it was deleted or not paid. It looks like you know what you are doing.

You see a ton of people say they want to stay solo because the majority of lawn mower guys are solo. They can't offer anything else because of their lack of education, they don't want too learn, fear of success, etc.

I would suggest you stay solo because that's what you want to do. Nothing wrong with that but don't lie. Veteran guys can see right through you.
Believe what you want and I don't want a website anymore because I get too much business. It sounds like someone is a little jealous. Its actually a PITA to get so many calls because while I'm trying to cut grass I'm getting calls constantly. My email is blown up along with my voicemail and its very overwhelming. Now after June it slows down. Maybe I need to be schooling you on marketing. I passed out a TON of fliers (with the estimate on the flier) which helped get calls, craigslist helps some, and word of mouth is really what got the calls coming in.

As far as being scared of success I would say I do pretty good. I make WAY more than working at mcdonalds flipping burgers and have more than enough to support my family. What else can I ask for?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
$25 a lawn is a little low but I do have properties that pay $35 or so. Also my issue isnt getting the jobs either. I turn down tons of work because theres simply not enough hours in a day.

As for equipment I have all I need to run solo. I only use 36in mowers because mostly all ny properties have gates and they also are all less than 1/2 acre. Most are 10000sq feet or less but few are bigger.

Now I would be using an additional 36in walk behind so two mowers at once.

I know I couldnt do over 15 a day with help because of the dtiving unless i got a really tight route which takes time.

Getting more work isnt hard at all. So I know I would be covered in that sense.

Im just scared to mess up a friendship since he's a close friend and needs the cash. At the same time I want to watch out for myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Believe what you want and I don't want a website anymore because I get too much business. It sounds like someone is a little jealous. Its actually a PITA to get so many calls because while I'm trying to cut grass I'm getting calls constantly. My email is blown up along with my voicemail and its very overwhelming. Now after June it slows down. Maybe I need to be schooling you on marketing. I passed out a TON of fliers (with the estimate on the flier) which helped get calls, craigslist helps some, and word of mouth is really what got the calls coming in.

As far as being scared of success I would say I do pretty good. I make WAY more than working at mcdonalds flipping burgers and have more than enough to support my family. What else can I ask for?
A 22 yr old kid that is charging $25 a lawn that only mows 10 lawns a day is going to say he's going to school me on marketing and how to run a business?? And He says I'm jealous? You charge one lawn for $25 and it takes you an hour to mow?? I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm sure you do nice work. I'm saying that if you're only making $250 a day and are turning down TONS of work then you are losing TONS of money. To me your story doesn't add up. Staying solo is what some guys want to do. In my opinion you are letting alot of jobs walk or aren't charging enough. If that's what you want to do then go for it.

You say you do a TON of fliers. Why? If you are getting 30 calls a day for 3 months straight. I know exactly how many fliers we pass out and direct mail and in what areas. 2700 calls in 3 months??? WOW!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I made a mistake. That would be 4 months of 30 calls a day. 3600 calls in 4 months. Wow!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well I've been in the business 7 years now.

I'm 31. mow 10-12 lawns a day 4-5 days a week. $25-$32 (average) per cut.

I'm pretty successful at it, by my terms anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think iv seen 30 new client calls in a week in peak season since before Obama was president when this trade was easier. But allot of youngsters inflate and hype their numbers today I never do. I wish I got 30 a day id be over 1000 accounts in no time.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is what it is.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would gladly take 30 calls a day for any amount of time, I feel really good when I get 5-10 in a day, usually march thru may. Kelly, Obama is doing a super good job of wiping out the middle class as fast as he can, which includes the small business owner.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

30 calls a day. not me. I'd be happy with 1 call a day. I hate taking phone calls. I'd rather hire someone to do all the office work before hiring a helper in the field. I'd rather stay in the field all day, leave the phone calls, estimates and paperwork to someone else.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like someone needs to learn the art of cherry picking.