Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Help Choosing Skid Steer

trying to figure out what skid would fit us best...

first off, we only have one dealer in town, and that's John Deere...we have a great relationship with them, so i would like to keep my business there, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work...

second, we want to put a snow blower on it for the winter...is high-flow completely necessary? it will be used mainly for driveways

third, we will be using it for grading and landscaping during the growing season

fourth, i'm leaning towards a two speed...

and last, with all this being said, what would you suggest? trying to buy used and pretty sure we want wheels over tracks
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You dont "need" high flow for a snow blower, especially in Kansas. It will be faster and throw snow farther but its not necessary to get the job done.

Always get two speed and if the machine you get has the option, get ride control as well. I dont thing Deere offers it but most everyone else does.

If Deere is the only player in town, you should try and see if that machine can work for you. Depending on how far away other dealerships are would dictate to me how aggressive I was at looking at other options. Everyone in the dirt business has their favorites so that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I cant see me ever owning a Deere, but some guys like them.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

very good point, kansas rarely ever see's anything more than 10" at best...

we would start our route with a home owners association, where there are 12 double drives...would a high/hi flow make the job that much faster? any idea how long it would take to snow blow 24 double drives, ballpark figure? snow blowing would be faster than just using a bucket, correct? i would prefer a snow blower because it does a cleaner job and you don't have to stack anywhere
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They make standard flow blowers

Joysticks are a must in deeres IMO. Friend has a 332 and I get blisters from using the hand controls
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you want a snowblower in KS? we rarely see enough snow to justify one. buy a good pusher and put the rest towards your loader. We are running a 2012 329d, big and powerful....a little thristy though!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just feel like a snow blower is the most efficient and easiest way to go...you remove the snow before you run over it and you don't have to stack it anywhere...make two passes in a driveway and you are done and on to the next one...snowblowers typically do a cleaner job imo...we also have a few properties where they don't want buckets or plows because of previous damage...a high flow 2 speed seems like it would be very productive

i don't have much experience with this so that's why i'm here, so correct me if i'm wrong...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

found a Bobcat S300 for sale here in town...2 speed, Hi-Flow...Enclosed Cab, 2700 hrs...they are asking $22,500, but one of the salesman said he thinks it might be sold...what do you guys think as far as price goes?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry, forgot the year...2005 or 2006
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=jbell36;4610568]i just feel like a snow blower is the most efficient and easiest way to go...you remove the snow before you run over it and you don't have to stack it anywhere...make two passes in a driveway and you are done and on to the next one...snowblowers typically do a cleaner job imo...we also have a few properties where they don't want buckets or plows because of previous damage...a high flow 2 speed seems like it would be very productive

i don't have much experience with this so that's why i'm here, so correct me if i'm wrong...[/Quote

Leaving a clean look with no piles is a good reason to run a blower, however blowers are slower than a box or bucket in all but really deep snow. You will use more fuel with a blower.

I have found if you have clients that are willing to pay for a blower you are good to go. Otherwise be sure to include numbers on just pushing or you will certainly lose the bid. Be sure you can control the snow blower functions from within the cab of the skid steer. Most of the better blowers are plug and play and can manipulated from the switches on the controls of the skid steer. There are other reasons to have high flow, example would be you can put a stump grinder on it and run other high performance attachments, so you dont have to justify getting high flow simply to run a blower.

Used track machines take some time to look over, hard to say if the BC is a good deal or not without pictures.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
You dont "need" high flow for a snow blower, especially in Kansas. It will be faster and throw snow farther but its not necessary to get the job done.

Always get two speed and if the machine you get has the option, get ride control as well. I dont thing Deere offers it but most everyone else does.

If Deere is the only player in town, you should try and see if that machine can work for you. Depending on how far away other dealerships are would dictate to me how aggressive I was at looking at other options. Everyone in the dirt business has their favorites so that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I cant see me ever owning a Deere, but some guys like them.
Ride control is coming in the new Deere E Series around the corner as well as keyless start and switchable controls from foot pedal to ISO to H patterens will be available.

I would pobably just recommend a snow blade or a snow pusher box instead of a blower.