Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Go vote obama in for a 3rd term
I haven't cast a vote for him as of yet. What's the deal with you anyway?? Issues much??
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not too random being the owner.... You have 30 days to go in once they give notice, you being the boss u tell ur employee anytime during the 30 days. Make sure you have your medical card as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

DOT Random Drug Testing

Long time lurker, but.....I work for a company where we do occupational health. The standard is ALL CDL drivers (A and B) need to be enrolled in a drug testing program. For a single owner/operator, you can either be tested repeatedly or enter a consortium where you are enrolled with others to decrease your chances of being selected. Our local consortium has 500+ drivers, and half will be randomly (computerized) selected within a year. If selected, the cost for the drug test is approximately $50, otherwise there is no cost. Much better than facing the fines if not enrolled in a drug testing!

BTW, hang on there are more DOT regulation changes coming next year in regards to which physicians can provide DOT medical cards, most family doctors and primary care physicans will not be included in this registry.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I haven't cast a vote for him as of yet. What's the deal with you anyway?? Issues much??

Big issues with any type of regulations. Even the legitimate ones urk me let alone the silly ones. Any endorsement of regulations after all that I read today, isnt going to get the thumbs up by me or most people around here.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everyone has to play the drug test consortium game. Here its about $50.00 per test Whenever they call you send in who they want. At the end of the year they will send you a year end results that include everyone in your consortium. Just part of the game we all play, or are supposed to play. If you are a business owner with CDL drivers and you are not in a consortium, you would be best to fix that before you get audited.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im a new DOT enrolment so Im at the top of the list. I expect they'll be calling in the next few months.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Not a "game"

I can see your frustration with regulations and the grey areas in DOT regs. I myself have an A, pay for a drug test and an annual medical card. But, I have a family that I love dearly and surley do not want someone operating a 40+ ton vehicle on the same roads that is under the influence of a non-prescribed chemical. As far as the medical card goes, I feel the same way. You would be surprised how many operators on the road have uncontrolled blood pressure, uncontrolled blood sugar, sleep apnea or are under the influence of chemicals.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoy.pt View Post
I can see your frustration with regulations and the grey areas in DOT regs. I myself have an A, pay for a drug test and an annual medical card. But, I have a family that I love dearly and surley do not want someone operating a 40+ ton vehicle on the same roads that is under the influence of a non-prescribed chemical. As far as the medical card goes, I feel the same way. You would be surprised how many operators on the road have uncontrolled blood pressure, uncontrolled blood sugar, sleep apnea or are under the influence of chemicals.

Sounds good on paper but in reality drug tests are useless if the person is not required too take it imediatly. Most drugs are only in your system for a few days.
http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

IN reality how many fatal accidents involving a CDL driver have been a direct result of drugs?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Sounds good on paper but in reality drug tests are useless if the person is not required too take it imediatly. Most drugs are only in your system for a few days.
http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

IN reality how many fatal accidents involving a CDL driver have been a direct result of drugs?
Not many! We have have the DOT rules we have to follow, but when it really comes down to it, how many of the wrecks are actually caused by the Commercial Driver? Most of the time it is the four wheel driver.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know where 30 days comes into play, mine was next business day for the testing facility. Someone else said it doesn't matter who you are, owner employee or whoever YOU are still driving the CMV so the laws still apply. I guess I don't see the big deal other than the testing fee? As an owner I was more concerned about all the fees for operating the truck $50 here, $100 there.... that was worse than the random drug testing IMHO.