Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Realtor Company

I have an opportunity to work with a local Realtor on foreclosure homes. Has anyone had experience with foreclosures? I am a bit leery because I figured most yards will be rough and also it will be an unsteady amount because the yard will be maintained until the Realtor sales it, etc. Any foresight would be great in this area because I am clueless working with a Realtor. Thanks for the input
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say every situation is the same, but i can tell you my experience. My realtor mentioned the word cheap, and i immediately wasn't interested. I've had them contact me asking if they could call me when they needed me. Alot of times, it has never been edged, and they don't call unless it's bad. They basically want you to be on call and pay a minimal amount. I stay away from that stuff, because i was never satisfied with it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im doing bush hogging for a commercial real estate company. Ive done a couple jobs for realtors. If your gonna do work for them be firm on your price. There gonna try to get you to drop your price. I had some who would try to get me to lower my price saying they could get a cheaper price and i would just tell them thats my price. If you can get lower then go for it but my price is final
Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

they are so cheap, and when you show up the grass is 4 feet long then they expect it to look like a golfcourse.. if you know the guy then go ahead.. but dont be afraid to set your price or say no
Delaware Roof Cleaning
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be wary of the situation you talk about. I do work with realtors sometimes. I have a couple that give my name to people moving away and needing maintenance until it's sold and also giving my name to people moving into the area. The realtor does not pay me, the owner of the home does. When moving away, I require payment up front. The realtors I work with feel comfortable recommending me because they are familiar with my work. Not every recommendation results in a new customer because not everyone agrees to my price but many do because the customer trusts the word of the realtor.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

yea my hope is this Realtor deals with a lot of high clients and I am hoping I can pick up neighbor yards while doing these foreclosures. The one thing I am worried is she is a very successful woman and I know she will chew me down. I lost my butt on my first job because a woman chewed me down and I always am on my toes now
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had two realtors call me about some work at homes they bought that were in foreclosure. I drove to the property and looked at them. I didn't have a problem doing the work, it was the price. When I called them and gave them a price, at the one, I heard a bunch of banging and rattling then the guy came back on the phone and said, "sorry about that, I fell off my chair when I heard the price"! The other I looked at was a local place that a company out of NY owned and was getting calls from the township about the mess. After a back and forth bickering over price, I finally said forget it. I wouldn't even consider doing any work for a realtor at all anymore. I have enough work that they couldn't afford my prices.

Last edited by orangemower; 12-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As the previous posts have shown, "most realtors are bottom feeders" wanting something for nothing and they want it done "immediately". The only way I'd work for a realtor is if they paid in advance at double my normal rates.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
As the previous posts have shown, "most realtors are bottom feeders" wanting something for nothing and they want it done "immediately". The only way I'd work for a realtor is if they paid in advance at double my normal rates.
Make sure they pay it in "cash" up front.

You're a generous man to consider doing any work for them.

The one guy in NY told me he wanted the entire property including the mobile home cleaned out. I looked at it and it was a filthy mess. One of the rooms was full of trash bags full of trash! I thought to myself, I could handle doing this but it won't be cheap. I figured it to be a good 3-4k to get all the trash inside and out as well as cut the grass cut back some over grown trees and hack a few saplings down. He found someone to just bush hog the front to keep the township from issuing fines. Believe it or not, I was considering buying the property (great location) for only 18K! It was a 1.3acre lot. I didn't have the money and had to pass. Heck, I could have leveled the place and put a nice prefab home up and have a nice garage for under 100K. Being tied up in another mortgage stopped us.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Recently, my realtor (lady who helped me buy my first house), said a seller needs their house cleaned up for weekend showings. She said the lawn guy wasn't reliable. After looking at it, i realized the ditch needed to be cut (never was), and the bushes needed trimming. I only added 10 bucks to what they were paying already! So the total would have been 65. They didn't go for it. I've learned to not give one price. I give a first time edging price, a regular price, and an on call price. Many times i've kicked myself for getting into a job where the edging took longer than the yard. No more. Sometimes, they'll say "just run over it". Then they'll come back and say it wasn't edged. Be clear.