Register free!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

plugs

I have been noticing more and more around here that large areas are being pluged rather than sodded. Is there a machine that does this and how well does it work for different grasses? I was thinking about getting one to rent if possible and plug my fathers 3 acres of land. Anyone suggestions?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have been noticing more and more around here that large areas are being pluged rather than sodded. Is there a machine that does this and how well does it work for different grasses? I was thinking about getting one to rent if possible and plug my fathers 3 acres of land. Anyone suggestions?
If you are referring to a machine that installs the plugs....then not that I am aware of however you can pick one of these up at home depot or lowes generally.

I own one because it is a quick sale to the customer that is to impatient to allow a area that experienced damage and really does not justify a sod installation (Pallet). They are simple to install as you might gather, you just stomp on the plugger, pull the handle up and it cuts out a perfect little 4 inch square...the same size as a plug.

It comes in handy when installing lots of asiatic jasmine as they are generally plugs in the same 4 in square when sold in flats.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm, 3 acres of plugs is going to be a bit more than you want to tackle, I do believe.

A tray of plugs will cover about 18 sq ft. Spaced at an extremely wide 2 ft you are still talking a huge number of plugs. Even if only half of the 3 acres were plugged, you'd be looking at at nearly 2000 trays. And I don't even know if you can buy them wholesale. It would be a pricey venture at $4+ dollars a tray, then still you'd only have a piece of grass stuck in a hole every two feet. I'd definitely call Bethel and ask them if they sell the pallets of plugs wholesale. You then will likely have to arrange transport of them. Then you have to figure out how to keep them alive because you probably won't be doing them in a weekend You would want to use a power auger to do the holes, but you will still be talking about one heck of a lot of work.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It has got to be a machine. I just wish I could see it in action. The plugs are all spaced equally and about 2 acres worth of plugs. It is just to perfect for someone to do. This is the second large area that I have seen plugged in the last 3 months. Nobody knows of a machine or tractor that does this?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen a machine that does this. My new house has some sparse areas I intend to plug in Feb. I already put down an app of Freehand. The thought being it will knock out any remaining weeds, prevent CG (2nd app after plugs take further CG control, and control the largest list of weeds i could find. Also I dont expect the freehand to intefere with root develpoment in the plugs. Temps have also been high here with some rain so i added an app of Milorganite.Springtime will get the micro/fe package i love so much from Lesco. The plugs will be spaced 9". I could sod these areas just as easily but I want to see what i can do with plugs. Its a full acre of decent SA that just hasnt had much care in the last two years.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Freehand contains pendimethalin. Not really a good idea to apply on plugged lawns. The pendimethalin will cause the stolons to float on the soil rather than tack down and take root. The idea of using a preemergent to kill seeds before attempting establishment is something I have tried. EPTC(Eptam) was good for this due to its effect on nutsedge and grasses.

I have used Celsius and Dismiss on recently plugged areas without that effect. Simazine or Atrazine is also free from that effect, but it may be hard to use in Florida.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Freehand contains pendimethalin. Not really a good idea to apply on plugged lawns. The pendimethalin will cause the stolons to float on the soil rather than tack down and take root. The idea of using a preemergent to kill seeds before attempting establishment is something I have tried. EPTC(Eptam) was good for this due to its effect on nutsedge and grasses.

I have used Celsius and Dismiss on recently plugged areas without that effect. Simazine or Atrazine is also free from that effect, but it may be hard to use in Florida.
I thought the benefit of FH was it is easier on the roots, I also planned on 2 months before plugging and a second app 2 amonths after? It just seems to be a broader spectrum without affection root action. Wouldn't the stolons eventually tack down? Would a better paln be to plug early and establish then worry about the weeds? these area are going to be raked out prior to plugging.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

FH is very hard on roots. University trials on fairway bermuda show negative effects on fill in and recovery if used on turf that is not totally established at time of application. From what I have seen, if grass is root pruned with something like pendimethalin or any other orange herbicide, those nodes affected are permanently damaged. New roots have to come from new nodes. I would look at using the rate of Barricade labeled for use over newly sprigged bermuda if grassy weeds are a concern. Gallery is useful for broadleaf weed control.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with keeping the area mowed low until the plugs have achieved >75% coverage and doing what you have to do. Starting low mowing soon during the grow in tends to make weed control much easier. Many weeds seen during the grow in are not normally a problem in bermuda mowed low.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure how friendly it is to SA, but Ronstar is commonly used as a pre-emergent when sprigging bermuda. No root pruning at all.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I deliberately left out Ronstar because it is for commercial/industrial, golf, sod production and sports turf only. Not for use on residential/home lawns. Otherwise it is a great herbicide for newly plugged, sprigged lawns. Sulfentrazone has a similar MOA to Ronstar.