Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

pre pay letters and renewals and estimate forms

This will be my second year offering pre pays for my applications. I will also be offering mosquito treatmens and may offer pre pays with this service.

I'm looking for some help and advice on how to word the info in the letter. I don't have real green or other programs so this will be a form letter that I will do for each customer. I will put their 2013 pricing on all current services they have as well as telling them about new services.

Anyone care to help on how to word it? Anyone care to share their pre pay/renewal letter?

I'm also working on a new estimate form. I offer mowing(with 3 levels of service), applications, fungicides, grub control, seeding, aertion, mosquito control, and fire ants. I have a print out with descriptions of each service. So it is easier to have a separate price sheet or just add it under each paragraph? I currently have everything in one packet and will give the customer prices on all services, not just what they ask. Hope that might be good at upsaleing. Smart move?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm planning on sending out prepays at the end of December. For my greeting this year I desperately tried to shoe-horn in a bit of Clark Griswold. This is how I started the letter this year (though I may have to tweak it a bit):

"Happy New Year! We hope you had a great holiday and enjoyed the most enduring traditions of the season in the warm embrace of kith and kin! May 2013 bring health, happiness, and success filled with peace, joy, and prosperity to you and your family.

Once again, thank you so much for allowing (company name) to service your lawn this past year. It is truly a privilege to assist you in the maintenance of your property and we look forward to continuing to do so this season. Listed below are the services you received last year and what those same services will cost this season: ..."

Last year I sent them out in mid-February and started out with this:

"Greetings! We hope this letter finds you thoroughly enjoying this (mostly) mild winter weather and we are looking forward to perhaps an early spring! Of course, Mother Nature could always slap us back into reality with eight inches of the white stuff in April, but we will have to wait and see."

The rest of the letter lists the services and prices for this season as well as additional services (aeration, insect controls, etc), referral options, and prepay details.

I use legal sized paper to get all the info on one sheet (standard 8 1/2 by 11 doesn't allow enough room to get everything listed). At the bottom is the cut/tear off portion with pricing details payment options to be returned to me.

Although I'm not sure how much of the letter most people read (so trying to be overly eloquent may not be necessary).
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Although I thought it was clever, but poorly worded; nobody at the office seems to like the Griswold line. Now simply reads:

"Happy New Year! We hope you had a wonderful holiday season surrounded by friends and family. May 2013 bring health, happiness, and success filled with peace, joy, and prosperity to you and your family."

Boo.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Valued Customer:

I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to have serviced you property last season. As spring approaches it is once again time to begin thinking about your landscape maintenance needs. We will begin servicing you property in mid March.

Attached is a service agreement for 2012. Services will remain the same as 2011. Should you wish to change/add any services, please call before March 15. I can be reached at 123-45678 or whatever@mc.com. Otherwise, sign and return the agreement.

The biggest compliment I can receive from a customer is a referral. If you have family or friends who you know need help with their landscape maintenance please feel free to refer them to me. I do offer discounts for those customers who do refer family and friends.

Once again, thank you for choosing XXX Lawn Care to maintain your landscape. I look forward to working with you this season to create a beautiful worry free landscape.

That is what my spring letter says....I usually send 1st week in Feb. But 100 percent of my commercial stuff is signed by end of oct and most resi stuff I know they are coming back before season ends. Last visit of the year we talk about what they would like to see for next season....discuss price changes or upsells and finalize things then. You should have everything set up and know what your reoccuring clients want before spring even comes....some stuff like insect tree sprays or other "small" stuff can be al a carte, but for the most part you have to negotiate that stuff now. Spring renewal is just for a paper trail. I like to know whos coming back or why they are not coming back before the season is over. It allows me to know the areas I need to focus on for marketing.

You mention pre-pays...I have a few clients that prefer that method of payment. I give them free blow outs or a 3% discount. I ONLY take pre pays for "fert" only clients. I dont allow them to pay at the time of application. I have been burned way too much. Also giving them a 3% discount for prepays.

Good Luck...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Circle C

Shouldn't it say......I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to have serviced your property last season.

Instead of......I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to have serviced you property last season.