Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, you have to take the good with the bad, can't win them all, goes with the territory, just how it is, grass isn't greener the other side of the fence, I ain't right in the head, you want the cake you have to eat the potatoes, I hate it too but if you want the rich customers you have to service the poor ones, I'm not rich either.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
A few years ago I just stopped taking on bi-weekly accounts. Slowly but surely I have replaced all but 3-4 with weekly just by various reasons like customer moving, divorce, bought mower etc. etc. Less paperwork, easier scheduling and routing makes my life easier. After all one weekly account eliminates the need for two bi-weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really....not when you factor in other services. I look at it more in terms of how much the account brings in per year. I billed one of my bi-weekly accounts over $1,000 for a storm/fall cleanup (it's usually around $600).

I'm not saying they can't be a pain and that I wouldn't rather have all weekly accounts, but I'm not about to drop them either (with one exception - the one that cuts it himself at the beginning and end of the season will be gone). But these customers all know that they're not priority customers and that my weekly ones take priority....it's nice to have something that can slip without getting stressed out over it.

All of my bi-weekly accounts ended up falling on the same week this past season due to weather. It was a bit of a trick to get them back in shape and on their proper schedule. I ended up cutting a bunch of them at 16 to 18 days...that wasn't much fun! I do reserve the right to charge an excessive growth surcharge due to conditions not under my control, but it's not something I do often.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Not really....not when you factor in other services. I look at it more in terms of how much the account brings in per year. I billed one of my bi-weekly accounts over $1,000 for a storm/fall cleanup (it's usually around $600).

I'm not saying they can't be a pain and that I wouldn't rather have all weekly accounts, but I'm not about to drop them either (with one exception - the one that cuts it himself at the beginning and end of the season will be gone). But these customers all know that they're not priority customers and that my weekly ones take priority....it's nice to have something that can slip without getting stressed out over it.

All of my bi-weekly accounts ended up falling on the same week this past season due to weather. It was a bit of a trick to get them back in shape and on their proper schedule. I ended up cutting a bunch of them at 16 to 18 days...that wasn't much fun! I do reserve the right to charge an excessive growth surcharge due to conditions not under my control, but it's not something I do often.
I agree with you 100% about the extra services. I had all my bi-weekly's scheduled on the same day each week like you. But as I stopped taking on new bi-weekly's and they naturally phased out (I didn't just drop them) that day got filled with weekly's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i dont' think you could have a business down here if you didn't do bi weekly cuts. most of mine are bi weekly. some of the yards are 2 1/2 acres and i charge $125 a cut. that's $250 a month. i don't think anyone would pay $500 a month for lawncare here. lol the few i have that are weekly are small yards that take 30min or less paying $35 a cut. i do have one that pays $45 a cut that gets weekly but it's in an upscale neighborhood.

there's another company that does most of the houses in that neighborhood and they only charge $35 a cut. i've seen them many times. it's 3 mexicans working for someone. they just jump out of the truck and one guy cuts like 5 yards and another trims them all and another blows them all off. i guess they can afford to do that since they get done alot quicker and being solo i can't compete with their prices. i'm not gonna spend 45min-1hr somewhere and only make $35. i guess their recipe is to charge less and do more to makeup for it. my plan is charge more and do less lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Sorry, you have to take the good with the bad, can't win them all, goes with the territory, just how it is, grass isn't greener the other side of the fence, I ain't right in the head, you want the cake you have to eat the potatoes, I hate it too but if you want the rich customers you have to service the poor ones, I'm not rich either.

I agree with that thought. What would you guys think if you stopped at McDs for a hamburger and they told you only if you buy fries and a drink also, no single sales? I split mine so half one week half the next. Like said by others, in the spring bi-weekly will get cut weekly if needed and all my customers are good with that.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping View Post
I agree with that thought. What would you guys think if you stopped at McDs for a hamburger and they told you only if you buy fries and a drink also, no single sales? I split mine so half one week half the next. Like said by others, in the spring bi-weekly will get cut weekly if needed and all my customers are good with that.
I'd go to Burger King !! Bi-weekly has their place, on commercial accounts I don't mind them but as far as resi's go I've found they're usually price shoppers who want somethig for nothing.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a mowing only service, so I'm not looking to book extra services like many of you, but I have actually become quite the fan of EOW accounts. That said, not every account should be considered for an EOW service schedule, but for those that qualify, they can be good money makers, at least from my standpoint. I was actually going to run the numbers on mine this year, but haven't gotten around to doing so, but I'm almost certain my EOW accounts netted a higher percentage of cuts (based on the maximum number possible during the growing season), than did my weekly accounts.

I have around 15 EOW accounts. Many are weekend or vacant properties, most have poor soil conditions resulting in slow, thin growth for the most part, and mowing on a bi-weekly basis is not a problem. This year, with the drought, I skipped a lot of weekly accounts, but the EOWeekers, not so much. It has to get really dry on most properties before you don't have enough growth to mow on a two week basis.

If priced correctly, I feel they can be quite profitable. In my case, I serviced most of them the same day, so in theory, every other week, you can have an extra day off.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i am mow only too-the evo is essential to this type of biz model.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I dropped many biweekly accounts last year, I still kept a few if they met certain criteria. Here are a few items which will allow me to service or turn down EOW yards.

1. I will not accept lawns EOW in higher end neighborhoods.
Perception is reality, I do not want residents seeing an
overgrown lawn with my name attached to it.
2. Payment is due at the time of service.
3. 50$ minimum for EOW.
4. I will not double cut, height of mower will be adjusted to
prevent an unsightly finished product.
5. Option to go 10 days if growth is fast in the spring.

I am down to 3 or 4 EOW yards. They are all close by my house. Bigger yards that sit by themselves with minimal trimming. The 50$ minimum was established so they would meet the required amount of total revenue on an anual basis needed to be a customer. These accounts can be very profitable if ground rules are established and they fit into the schedule. Otherwise they can be hard on equipment and a scheduling nightmare on weeks where there are rainouts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats a good "laying down the law" to the EOW customer. I have one customer that wants the 10 day cut in a an area where I have five every week customers.

He gets his three cuts every month but the 10 day thing doesn't work out. It gets cut when I'm there which ends up being cut one week skip a week cut the next two.

In the Spring I convince him to go every week and most of the time he agrees so its not so bad. He is one of the top three PITA customers but he is right across the street from the other customers I service so to protect my territory I keep him.

Its a waterfront high end small town in the county about 10 miles off my route but its worth it as long as I have enough business to make it profitable. With the cost of operating I can't go down there on a odd day to cut just one yard. They are all small yards but add up nicely.

If I had a set of ground rules to follow like you have I'd probably be better off. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I'd go to Burger King !! Bi-weekly has their place, on commercial accounts I don't mind them but as far as resi's go I've found they're usually price shoppers who want somethig for nothing.
My point exactly. If you were Mcds and the other LCO BurgerKing, sooner or later there may only be BurgerKing..... I understand why some don't want to have bi weekly accounts. I look at it as an opportunity to show that customer, their friends, family and neighbors the quality of work provided by us. Sorta advertising that you get paid for. I have received referrals from bi weekly customers. So if you connected the chain, the value of those customers may be higher than some numbers may show.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments