Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah. All I mostly do is lawns. Ill mulch from time to time, plant and do beds but being a solo guy with a helper fro time to time. If I do get a person asking about pavers and such, I give it to my buddy and he gives me lawns that either he can't handle. We work like that and it works well. Networking, the key to saying small and making money.
36" Bobcat
46" JRCO Thatcher
JRCO Aerator
Echo handhelds
Red Max Backpack
Sthil saws
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Oh boy
1st If you are solo how do you go on family vactions take time off in summer for family? To me that is why I have my own business
2nd cutting grass can make you a living but every year lawns get cheaper and cheaper so it is harder tan ever to make a good living
Briefly I have been in business since 1986 my original customers are some of my best payers
When I started it was me, then me +1 and i did very well
Then I got married and wanted to spend time in vacation tough to do solo or with 1 guy
So after several years like that basic mowing I realized I was an employee not a real business owner R
After years like that I now have 15 guys working doing full hard scraping anD yes it is labor intensive but in a 2 or 3 day job I can make more money than in a month of mowing
You need to decide what you wnt to do be a slave to your company or be a boss and let your company make you money
How many years do you want to cut lawns or will your body let you cut lawns for
was thinking we'd get such a question.

since I'm single it's more important that I enjoy all aspects of my work and forgo vacations. if I do take time off I can go for a long weekend during a slow time of the year.

as for lawns getting cheaper. not sure where you live but I've never dropped a clients price and when needed I raise my prices for new business I get. I hardly call that getting cheaper. at the least they stay the same.

I don't look at it as being a slave to my business. I'd rather be solo doing what I love each and every day and sacrifice vacations and time off than work for someone else possibly doing things I don't enjoy just to have vacations and time off. always have and always will see myself as a real business owner. never gonna let anyone convince me otherwise. there is no black and white way of running a business or what a business consists of. solo guys are every bit real business owners just like someone with 15 employees.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I named my business "LAWN MAINTENANCE" over 30 years ago.
I stick to services with recourring charges.

I offer enough services to keep other maintenance companies out of "MY" lawns.
Mow trim & blow. Weed & feed. Core aerate & topdressing. Mulch installation.

I've been asked to:
bushhog
sweep parking lots
paint stripes in parking lots
cut trees
top trees
Lots of other stuff I have no clue how to do.

Every once in a while I'll try something I have no business doing. It reminds me how hard it is to do something I don't have the equipment to do and how unprofitable it is.
I have much better luck having a list of professionals in those other fields I can referr my customers to.
I tried employees, and found I do better on my own. I never liked sitting at a desk. I'm in good health because I work outdoors. It's the sedentary lifestyle that'll kill you. Though I do take off 5 months out of the year. But I don't just sit around while I'm off.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

must just be me but I have no problem letting another company into "my" lawns.

if its something I don't do or don't wanna do I'm quicker than the client themselves to recommend a competitor of mine.

some of the services I offer, I offer on a small scale only. meaning for example mulch. I'll do like 4 yards max. if its larger than that I'll recommend another company to do it.

I pretty much do what I wanna do and leave the rest to someone else. if I wanted to do some of the other stuff or do things on a larger scale I'd go work for the other guy.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok my question it been asked before
What is average price of lawns I know it will vary
How many lawns can a solo do in a day
How many days you cut
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as family vacations...we keep them short and local...usually in August when grass growth slows down...usually camping at a nice beachside state park about 10 miles from home. I may work some short shifts while the wife and kids are at the beach...priority accounts only.

My average lawn is around $55 last I checked and I usually cut 5 to 7 a day but up to 9 or 10. My goal is minimum $300/day and I usually max out around $500/day mowing solo. I do have my 2 sons to help me in the summer as needed. I cut 3 days, typically Wed thru Fri. Mon and Tues are non-mowing maintenance work typically and Saturday is for overflow. I'll sometimes make Monday an errand day.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So you are saying you can survive on $1500 max a week
What type of over head do you have
What area do you live in
Mortgage car payments insurance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Ok my question it been asked before
What is average price of lawns I know it will vary
How many lawns can a solo do in a day
How many days you cut
$15-$525
N/A
4-7 depending on the time of season
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is not an average
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Overhead is low, all cars are always paid for cash. Bought wifey a new one this year...2011 Nissan Altima off lease. I'm on the CT shoreline. We own our own home and the mortgage isn't too bad. Wifey went back to work 3 years ago part time after taking 12 years off, so that helps.

I work up to 6 days a week...that's just mowing income, but yeah that would be enough to pay the bills. My net was 76% of my gross income last year but that was higher than usual...it's usually in the mid to high 50s. My snow plowing income was pretty good in 2011 which skewed things upwards. I do other maintenace as well. I did a lot of "shrub yanks" this last summer. I do have a landscape tractor and dump trailer as well and can have pretty good days when using the tractor and/or hauling materials.