Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
So you lost production because your mower was broken and you think you saved money .
I fixed it several times. I even had to welded it more than once. With out the new mower I would not nearly have the number of accounts that I have today. I am also in Highschool so time is a major problem for me. Everyday during season I come home from school and go cut until the sun goes down. The next morning I wake up and go cut some more. Come home and finish homework. From March to September. 6 days a week. Thats the reason for the new equipment.

pabs
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I know how you feel bud. I did the same thing. I am a current horticulture student and should be finished up in about 8 months. I am in class from 9-2:30 so by the time I get home it's 3 and get to the first yard it's 3:15-3:30 so I have enough time to do about 2 yards. Having downtime because of a mower isn't fun when you don't have a backup! Hence why I want a new mower. Plus 3 year warranty would be nice to!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never used an Exmark, but the cut they leave blows me away. The Scag machines are nice too I hear.

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25 View Post
This is related to the 28 acre account I may be getting to also keep it maintained. Along with this account, I am also getting an account in March to cut about 2 acres. It is a mobile home lot (new homes for sale). I currently only have a 1996 Walker GHS with a 36" deck. Good mower but it has some age and it's not quite as reliable as I would like it to be with these bigger jobs coming up.

In my area I have dealers for Toro, Husquvarna (sp?), Walker, Exmark, and John Deere.

Right now I am mainly looking at a Exmark 52" or 60" Lazer Z S or X Series? Is it worth the extra money for the X Series? Also EFI or no?

I will be renting a Exmark 60" next week so that will give me some seat time on one to see how I actually like it or don't.

Thanks for the advice and help!
I agree with the previous comment to be wary of buying a machine for just one account. I did that on the other end of things, getting a 32" I otherwise never neeeded just to fit in a small gate/big back yard situation. Of course that account eventually drops and you wind up parking the thing and taking a depreciation hit. With a $11,000 mower, just be sure you're going to be able to use it elsewhere if this job ends.

EFI saves fuel but I have heard more anecdotal accounts of problems with EFI engines on all brands.

I checked Exmarks recently and for my use found no reason to go up to X from S, but I do smaller lots and don't abuse the thing. If you prefer Kawasaki (I do) in 60" plus you'd need to go X, I believe.

The X is a little faster but my thinking is you can't really mow nice turf faster than 10mph anyway.

The X seat would be nice for large acreage, but I assume it's optional on the S.

But it seems to me that when they get this big the S and X are more alike than different. No real downside to the X other than perhaps a less proven spindle design (though supposed to be stronger) and a little more weight.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would suggest looking at the deere's and husqvarna's as well. any of them will do the job. go with the cheapest price.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well you go on and take on payments on a piece of equipment that you couldn't afford and then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!
That's part of the risk when in business.

You ain't got nothing to fall back on, put all your eggs in one basket and that doesn't concern you at all? Yes it does but again, it's a risk that you have to be willing to take to further grow a business.

But y'all who know everything go on already and prove me wrong, let me know how it turns out.
I bought a brand new Scag with bagger kit, a new trailer, a BOP mower, hand held power tools, all kinds of accessories to make being a solo operation easier. It took 3 years to pay off everything. I started out with no clients and went door to door. Found a bunch of customers and now have more then doubled my work load just in the last few months! I had enough to keep me working 2-3 days a week and still support a family, mortgage and all the other bills. Now I took on close to double the work load and it's all within 2 miles from home! Life my friend is all about risk.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Go for the trade in and get a nice 52 or 60 in. Z. It will suit your present needs and give you more of a future to take on bigger properties. Bigger and faster equal more money especially if you are solo. I use a 60 in. Z on everything. Trimming makes the man! If you trim out a place tight and neat with the proper fade every time you'll see how a bigger mower, with in reason, is more profitable. Take the risk, cause you will only fall behind if you don't and that's what business is all about, taking that calculated risk. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so a 60" is out of the question as my yards are too small for such a big mower. I am thinking of a LazerZ S series with the Kawasaki motor. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Went to edit but its been past 10 mins but I am thinking a 48" which is the series 4 deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Heck, do a search of the forum, and there are thousands of threads on this I bet.

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well