Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Critique my website

Finally decided to get a web page together. Made it myself and i think it turned out ok. let me know what you guys think and any suggestions.

www.welshlawncare.com
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow that's great!

you did that yourself?? it sure looks like a big professional firm did it.

i love the simple design on the home page, the logo, the font, the contrast.

the three photos is great. all the big boys have threes on their home page.

i love the bullet points. i love that the links turn into italics when you click on them.

i love the coupons.

i love the simple navigation, all where it's supposed to be. the logo is clickable back to index.

i love the gallery. is that wordpress? i'm sure you'll be adding more photos to it.

i love that you have a contact form.

i love the footer. could use a little more contrast for the text in there. i like the lighter color text, it's just a little hard to read. just one more notch darker, but in the same family, would be perfect.

i've designed and host over 40 websites, and none of them look as crisp and clean as that one!

you, sir, get an A+

(and i have to honestly say that 99% of the sites that people post in the "critique my site" threads here i don't comment on, i'd sound like a jerk if i did.)

++
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ps i think it's 'altogether' not 'all together' for people disappearing, but i could be wrong. better check me on that.

even the code is extremely clean and easy to read. wow. great job.

i'm going to have to look into that Modest theme.

Last edited by jonthepain; 12-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work. Can't go wrong with clean, easy to navigate, and to the point.

- Suggestion-wise, you'll want to look at Google or SEOmoz's beginner SEO guides and pay particular attention to the various tags, such as H, TITLE, Meta Descriptions, etc. Take a look at the various Wordpress SEO plugins, such as Yoast's or SEO All In One.

- I'd recommend changing from page IDs to post name or a custom naming convention. (in WP, it's under Settings/Permalinks, as well as at the top of each Page/Post in the editor.)

- Each of your pages have a page name (below the menu, above the content), but getting a bit more descriptive will help. Ie, "Lawn Services" instead of just "Services". Think in terms of how people would search for you. Would a potential customer go to Google and just type "Services Phillipsburg, NJ" or would they be more likely to type "Lawn Services Phillipsburg, NJ"?

- In reading Jon's post, I see a mention of coupons. On page load, I see a quick flash of them and then they're gone. I use an ad blocker on my browser. Depending on what you're using to serve them (assuming an Ad Widget), if you create a coupon like you would any other content (stylized box that looks the exact same as you have), you'll get around the ad blocking issues.

- Portfolio page, I would get more descriptive with the captions/alt tags. Your potential customers and search engines will like having the image context set for them. ("Something about the landscaping project" vs "Landscaping 6")

- The pages that don't have pics, you might want to integrate one or two to each page. You do visual work, so you might as well grab their attention with your photos.

- The home page and About Us page content are duplicates, making the About Us page seem more like a way to just have another page to have another page.

- Across all pages, the visitor has to search to find your service area. If you move your location and, most importantly, your phone number to a higher point of focus, you'll make it easier for them.

- Service page looks great. Easy to read and direct. "Cluttered attic cleaning" in the midst of lawn services was kind of a departure and I would probably put related services together when possible, or put it at the end to maintain the contextual flow.

All in all, looks good and a great start. If there was a glaring issue, it's the overly-simplified header of the pages and trying to understand where you are and how to call you.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks great.
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Great Looking Site, I would make sure to add a Estimates button at the top of the page that is in red and really clear, that helps drive customers that are tech savy to get ahold of you. It works great for us.

Josh
http://www.springscapes.ca
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The site took about 15 seconds to load for me which is going to be a big problem with SEO.

It looks fantastic though. I really like your logo!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseN View Post
The site took about 15 seconds to load for me which is going to be a big problem with SEO.
Yes, it loads too slow. Welcome to Wordpress and it's dozens of server calls, but I'm showing consistent 1.95 second load times, which would put it somewhere near the fiftieth percentile.

As for it being a "big problem", yes, it is a factor, but I've never seen it have an impact on anything other than user experience. Like every other bit of advice from Google, if you make your site experience great for visitors, you're making it great for search bots.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Yes, it loads too slow. Welcome to Wordpress and it's dozens of server calls, but I'm showing consistent 1.95 second load times, which would put it somewhere near the fiftieth percentile.

As for it being a "big problem", yes, it is a factor, but I've never seen it have an impact on anything other than user experience. Like every other bit of advice from Google, if you make your site experience great for visitors, you're making it great for search bots.
The page Welsh Lawn Care got an overall PageSpeed Score of 57 (out of 100) - Google Speed Test

When I analyze results on SerpIQ, low speed scores consistently fall on the list over-time relative to higher scored sites that have similar content structure and link profile

There are a number of plugins you can use to improve the speed of your site

Last edited by JesseN; 12-17-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

It did load slow but it looks good. You do not have a space for phone number under contact us? Do you prefer to communicate through email?