Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quality Steel and Aluminum brand 12K dump trailer

Wondering if anyone owns one of the bigger 83"x144" (8312 to be exact) Quality Steel and Aluminum brand trailers. How nice are they? I have a Quality Steel landscape trailer, and I like it, but a dump trailer is a much different type of trailer, with more to break, so I wanted to make sure they are good. How well does that spread/barn door tail gate work? Does it have good axles, or cheap ones?
http://www.geterdumped.com/83%20WIDES.html
That is like to their website with all specs.

Oh, and one more question:

How well would a F150 size truck work towing it? Could it do it legally? It does have a built in trailer brake controller, 5.4 V8, 4x4. Ad I would only have to go over 1 or 2 bridges to get to mulch/stone supplier, and the dump, and after that no other inclines, so I assume it would be fine....

WORK PAGES:
LAWNSITE PAGE!

PLOWSITE PAGE!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

here is a picture. And, what do you think would be a fair price?

WORK PAGES:
LAWNSITE PAGE!

PLOWSITE PAGE!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

A couple things:

That trailer is too heavy for a half ton truck. I swore of half tons a few years back because of their limited payload capacity. Pulling the trailer unloaded and on flat ground would work and probably feel good but driving with a load would not be fun if there are hills. Wear and tear on an F150 is also a consideration. The brakes, transmission, rear end and suspension components will wear out much more quickly than a heavier duty truck.

I noticed the dual rams and am wondering why the trailer doesn't have a scissor lift. A scissor lift is a little more money ($500) but stronger and it only has one ram, so less complex. For the money invested it is worth it.

$5500 seems reasonable. Since you are pulling with a half ton you could save some money and wear and tear and buy a 5x10 or 6x10. You would save a thousand bucks and a thousand pounds.

Good luck with your purchase!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed it is too much for your truck. I have a 7x14 14K dump and I wouldn't want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Loaded with 4 tons (4 yards) of rock plus the 4K weight of the trailer, that's 12lbs. My F350 does it comfortably but I wouldn't want to do it in anything less.

I do not have a QS&A trailer but my good friends do, and they've used it a lot. Landscaping all year (including hauling a skid) & leaf box in the fall. It has held up okay, there's is the dual ram (which has plenty of power). The only complaint is the floor has not held up to heavier material and equipment.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S View Post
Agreed it is too much for your truck. I have a 7x14 14K dump and I wouldn't want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Loaded with 4 tons (4 yards) of rock plus the 4K weight of the trailer, that's 12lbs. My F350 does it comfortably but I wouldn't want to do it in anything less.

I do not have a QS&A trailer but my good friends do, and they've used it a lot. Landscaping all year (including hauling a skid) & leaf box in the fall. It has held up okay, there's is the dual ram (which has plenty of power). The only complaint is the floor has not held up to heavier material and equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_f View Post
A couple things:

That trailer is too heavy for a half ton truck. I swore of half tons a few years back because of their limited payload capacity. Pulling the trailer unloaded and on flat ground would work and probably feel good but driving with a load would not be fun if there are hills. Wear and tear on an F150 is also a consideration. The brakes, transmission, rear end and suspension components will wear out much more quickly than a heavier duty truck.

I noticed the dual rams and am wondering why the trailer doesn't have a scissor lift. A scissor lift is a little more money ($500) but stronger and it only has one ram, so less complex. For the money invested it is worth it.

$5500 seems reasonable. Since you are pulling with a half ton you could save some money and wear and tear and buy a 5x10 or 6x10. You would save a thousand bucks and a thousand pounds.

Good luck with your purchase!
Posted via Mobile Device
So, you guys all think that the f150 size truck is too small? I was just wondering because I see a guy around all time towing one with a Tundra, and I see another guy who owns a smaller one (but loads up to the top with mulch and pavers) towing it with a f150 2x2 I think. And, we also have no hills like I said, just 1 or 2 bridges on the way to the supplier and landfill, and I am almost completely working in 2 small towns, so no highway driving. That is why I thought I could get away with it then at some point buying a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow it later on.

And Thanks for the input on actually trailer! Will also have to consider buying a smaller on, but I could rent it in winter as a dumpster to a few contractor friends if I buy a larger 7' by 12' one.

WORK PAGES:
LAWNSITE PAGE!

PLOWSITE PAGE!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Having no hills makes a HUGE difference in towing but power isn't the issue. There is nothing wrong with towing with the F150 until you pick up a 3/4 ton or heavier. You will have to load the trailer so that the weight is situated in just the right place though. Anything over 500-600lbs tongue weight and your F150 is going to be riding in the suspension bumpers, and if the load is situated too far back and the trailer becomes dangerously unmanageable.

New trailers are fun.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_f View Post
Having no hills makes a HUGE difference in towing but power isn't the issue. There is nothing wrong with towing with the F150 until you pick up a 3/4 ton or heavier. You will have to load the trailer so that the weight is situated in just the right place though. Anything over 500-600lbs tongue weight and your F150 is going to be riding in the suspension bumpers, and if the load is situated too far back and the trailer becomes dangerously unmanageable.

New trailers are fun.
So, you just have to have the load evenly spead throughout trailer, I will be fine using the truck?

And, it will be fun If I buy a dump trailer this season. Could do some bigger leaf cleanups in the other town I work in, and some day get a leaf loader....

WORK PAGES:
LAWNSITE PAGE!

PLOWSITE PAGE!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, load distribution is the key. Buy a good brake controller and get familiar with the trailer brakes. We use these:

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, given your situation it seems like a good idea to start with a larger trailer. You're already planning on upgrading to a heavier duty truck and when you do your trailer won't be too small.
Posted via Mobile Device