Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Tools on a Dump Trailer

Before the start of the season I purchased a dump trailer and it has been wonderful. I also purchased a tool box for my truck, which has also been great minus one thing. Putting tools in my bed now are a pain! They almost all stick out of the bed and are get jammed in there and it's just a mess.

My question is does anyone have a mechanism they used to mount all of their tools to the dump trailer. Any pictures would really help.

Thanks,
Nick.
48" John Deere Walk Behind
Stihl Blower
Echo Whip

www.completegroundpros.com
http://www.facebook.com/CompleteGrou...leteGroundPros
Old 05-30-2015, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get yourself two 6" prices of PVC pipe about 4-5' long with an end cap on one end. Mount them to the front of your trailer and you have spots for your tools.

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

The dump trailer at where I work has a homemade wooden box on the front, between the battery box and the dump body. I will try and get pics. Probably not until next week. Sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Get yourself two 6" prices of PVC pipe about 4-5' long with an end cap on one end. Mount them to the front of your trailer and you have spots for your tools.
And when the trailer is in the upright in the dumping position and the tools fall out how will your suggestion help the OP?. I would suggest getting quotes to have aluminum boxes with locks attached from the inside of the trailer to stow his tools. Nothing will fall out and easy and secure access as well.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-30-2015, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Ground Pros View Post
Before the start of the season I purchased a dump trailer and it has been wonderful. I also purchased a tool box for my truck, which has also been great minus one thing. Putting tools in my bed now are a pain! They almost all stick out of the bed and are get jammed in there and it's just a mess.

My question is does anyone have a mechanism they used to mount all of their tools to the dump trailer. Any pictures would really help.

Thanks,
Nick.
I guess I cant picture your problem in my head. You have photos

I know I run Flat beds on trucks lots room to put tools Why would you want mount tools on the trailer
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how your specific trailer is designed or what type of tools you're looking to store but this thought just occurred to me. What if you bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom of the frame rails and put tools in there. You would have to lift the dump a little to get them out which could occasionally be a problem, but I think it would work in most cases. This would obviously only work for hand tools and other narrow things. On some trailers the cross members might be in the way but I've attached a picture of a dump trailer with a frame design that would work well for this.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2015, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seen a few different ways to secure hand tools (rakes, shovels, pick axe, etc) to dump trailers or cab protectors on dump bodies, that revolved around a similar idea:
On a dump trailer, mount a framed sheet of expanded steel to the front or side of the body, spaced off of the body by an inch or two. Bolt 2-hole pipe or conduit straps to expanded steel so that handles will slide thru horizontally or at a slight downward angle. Use tarp straps or "bungees" to secure heads of tools from sliding out of pipe strap channel. Lightweight, not intrusive, and adaptable.

Company I had worked for used that method for rakes and shovels, but on all their dump bodies. They would extend the cab protectors, with angle iron and expanded steel, way over the cab to accommodate 2 or 3 wheelbarrows. above the cab. On the underside they bolted the pipe straps so the guys could slide leaf rakes, hard rakes etc in otherwise unusable space. Worked great and there was always tarp straps in the trucks anyway to keep things secure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

This is what my bed looks like most of the time. Because I added the tool box, the tools are to long to fit in the bed, so they all hang out. That isn't the biggest problem though. The biggest problem is when I need the tool on the bottom. Everything needs to come out and it becomes a mess, and extremely frustrating.

I've seen one company secure them somehow to the front of the dump trailer. I liked this because everything was accessible and neatly organized. If the tools are mounted on the front, When the dump trailer is up, I do not think it gets high enough for the tools to fall out. I am just not sure how to secure them to the front.
Attached Images

48" John Deere Walk Behind
Stihl Blower
Echo Whip

www.completegroundpros.com
http://www.facebook.com/CompleteGrou...leteGroundPros