Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hours vs miles on diesel trucks

Whats your take? Is high hours worse than high miles?
I'm debating between two trucks. Both exactly the same 1992 and a 1994 international. The 92 has 190k miles and 5xxx hrs. The 94 has 105k and 8xxx hrs.
I look at it like this, a truck with 200k and 6k hrs is average of 30 mph its life. Average. 100k miles and 8k hrs is 15 mph. Is it really that bad? Do the math backwards and 8k hrs is equal to 240k miles
I use this equation on used cars to verify when a seller says theyre "all highway miles"
On an ex town truck does this mean the guys sat in the coffe shop parking lot idling the truck to keep the heat warm or we're they just putting around side streets not going very fast?
Opinions welcome
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I look at it this way... Hours is only relative to the engine, right? Miles affects the entire truck (engine, tranny, brakes, bearings, belts, etc....) right?

So in my opinion hours isn't a true reflection of the entire vehicle. Lot's a idling doesn't have any effect on individual components besides the engine and possibly drive train.

But I could be wrong.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I would be more worried about body rust. Look carefully at the doors and underside of cab. Then check the braking system for leaks, look at wheel seals, kingpin wear, odd or uneven tire wear, engine and trans leaks, etc. Those are the things that tell real story the only time I worry about hrs or miles is if I figure I will be selling it in the near future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually the high hours vs miles is because they leave it run when they get out or because they're powering some kind of equipment (police cars run pretty much non stop to keep the computers on).

They both end up being important because certain things need to be replaced at mile intervals (bears, tires, brakes, etc) and time intervals (basically anything that moves while the engine is running). It's important to be aware whether something minor like an oil change is due or something more major like shocks and struts.

As was said, look at the whole truck. High miles and hours isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's mechanically sound as well as physically. No rust, major parts replaced as needed, preventative maintenance performed, as well as what it was used for.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry about idle hours. All it means is it may use more oil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2015, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did not read the whole thread, but no difference.