Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

actually when I said I will live in the trailer when we get divorced she said she would take the trailer
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
appearance defiantly gets you more. its all about looks. in fact I'm putting an office in my trailer. do a walk through then step into the office. customer gets to sit in my chair as j slip in one next to the desk. pull out paperwork for all their options or even set up the laptop and show them some landscape options. even have supplier mags out so they can browse and chose materials.
This has to be a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Let me play "Joe Homeowner" customer for a minute. If you came to my house and asked me to come into your trailer, I would feel weird and wouldn't do it. What I would be comfortable with is you come into my house (neatly dressed and groomed) with your lap top and small printer to discuss my options as your customer.

That's an interesting idea, but not at all practical. I don't see any customers wanting to climb around your equipment. Really, bird. You weren't going to do this.

93 F150
94 Chevy 1500 8'6" Western
96 GMC 1500 7'6" Western
98 Chevy 8'6" Western

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Trac-Vac)
John Deere F510 Z-Turn 38"
Toro Personal Pace 21" Mowers
12,000 sq. ft Shop

21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

even if it turns out to be for only personal use I think it be nice
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Appearance does matter. At least it does to me and that all that matters to me. When I see someone rolling down the street with junk I'm just not thinking that they really don't care about anything. They may talk a good talk, but when you look at what they do closely, the differences are apparent. Even in the way they take care of their customers. I don't believe the equipment must be new, but it does have to be taken care of. This truck belongs to a friend of mine. 99% of you would be horrified to ride in this piece of junk, as am I. He does an okay job on lawns, not great, and he's never interested in doing extra stuff like trimming bushes. When I sold my company in MD he got first pick. He didn't want any of the fancy jobs with full service. Just the simple stuff. His company policies, like insisting upon being paid each week, is driving what few high end customers he has away. He rides around week after week, like a paper boy, collecting from his customers.

Perfect!! This seems to be what some people on here are looking for in a contractor but not me. Not making enough to run a proper business because you are lazy, not charging enough, or spending all your earnings on other things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Perfect!! This seems to be what some people on here are looking for in a contractor but not me. Not making enough to run a proper business because you are lazy, not charging enough, or spending all your earnings on other things.
Nah, that's not why his equipment looks like this. He's made a few poor decisions that haven't helped matters any but the root cause is not his own. He's gotten stuck living where the times and cost of living have far passed him by. He's moving into his mid 50's and long ago became stubborn and set in his ways. He is what his environment and days gone by have made him. There is very little that he can do now to change things.

He was very suited for the place that where he lives now used to be. It was a blue collar area with little old white haired widows spent their final years. He would do just what these type of people wanted. Houses were cheap and the cost of living was too.

But then about 15 years ago the area started shifting as the area was "found" by people with money and well being. The price of real estate quadrupled in just a few years and the market shifted. The new residents were looking for things that he is either unwilling or unable to provide. Then the Great Recession hit and that has just about put the last nail in his businesses coffin. It's on life support now, having lost many customers and his 2 biggest jobs, one just a few weeks ago.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
since when do clients care whether someone they hire makes enough at there business to run it properly. since when do clients care if someone they hire is charging enough. since when do clients care where someone they are hiring spends there money.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Nah, that's not why his equipment looks like this. He's made a few poor decisions that haven't helped matters any but the root cause is not his own. He's gotten stuck living where the times and cost of living have far passed him by. He's moving into his mid 50's and long ago became stubborn and set in his ways. He is what his environment and days gone by have made him. There is very little that he can do now to change things.

He was very suited for the place that where he lives now used to be. It was a blue collar area with little old white haired widows spent their final years. He would do just what these type of people wanted. Houses were cheap and the cost of living was too.

But then about 15 years ago the area started shifting as the area was "found" by people with money and well being. The price of real estate quadrupled in just a few years and the market shifted. The new residents were looking for things that he is either unwilling or unable to provide. Then the Great Recession hit and that has just about put the last nail in his businesses coffin. It's on life support now, having lost many customers and his 2 biggest jobs, one just a few weeks ago.
no..... (to that phrase, not your post)

he should take some soap to that mower. that alone would help quite a bit.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think part of it might be that (i dont know this guy or the story) is he failed to let the business expand. business that are not allowed to expand often go under. business that expand to quickly often go under
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post
since when do clients care whether someone they hire makes enough at there business to run it properly. since when do clients care if someone they hire is charging enough. since when do clients care where someone they are hiring spends there money.
Not what I meant. They want a professional!! Not just someone that does great yard work but someone that handles themselves and there business like a professional. Let's say a door to door salesmen came by your house selling whatever. Pants around his ass, dirty looking, tattoos on there face, no teeth, and talking like they have no sense. Would you even think about handing them money let alone in your house??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It matters a lot less than a lot of you guys are willing to admit. Price is almost always the deciding factor. Reliability would be the next most important factor. This is why we pick up jobs in July.

Appearance? 5 tops. Just don't look like a complete hilljack. Speak clearly. Wear clean clothes. This is all common sense stuff, though.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds