The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

shrugs. less greesy than mc donalds
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
It doesn't matter at all. People are fooling themselves.
I agree, don't get me wrong I clean my trailer out when it needs it but for the most part I just make sure tools are in place, and not just in there. With that being said when I go to a quote I show up neat, and presentable.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26 View Post
I agree, don't get me wrong I clean my trailer out when it needs it but for the most part I just make sure tools are in place, and not just in there. With that being said when I go to a quote I show up neat, and presentable.
Of course. That goes without saying. I can guarantee you though that the majority of my customers couldn't even pick my truck out of a lineup. They're not home when I'm mowing their lawn!

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This is simply not true. No matter how many times you say it isn't going to make it so, either. People are interested in price and price only 9 out of 10 times. We mow grass. We plant shrubs. We do not work in a laboratory trying to discover a cure for cancer. Any idiot can do just a good a job as the next in this business if they have the equipment and the drive (and most people have both). Lets not pretend it's anything but exactly that.
There are people that want quality. I got a lady that got tired of going for price and went for quailty. She was paying $40. She pays me $72. Actually she gives me four twenty's, an $8 tip, every week for mow, edge, blow. It is true.

I will give you that we do not do brain surgury.

Any idiot?

Well this industry must be filled with sub idiots because of all the poor quality work being done.

This work is so simple, yet LCO's rut lawns. We have people here rutting lawns. They can't handle driving a mower.

So what?

Well when that sub idiot gets his trailer loaded he then is driving a truck pulling a trailer.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right in one thing, on average the customer is not going to see you directly. as was stated, they arnt home.

but having good looking equipment has to do with marketing that is not directly measurable. I forget what its called, but its about having potential customers see you on several fronts, see your flyer, flashers, radio, even billboards. Think about a commercial you see all the time, you dont really think about it untill you hear the ad on the radio.

good looking equipment is the same thing. its simply another front. say they see your flyer a couple times. and see you in a flasher or something. and then all of a sudden a big white 20 foot enclosed trailer next to them with your logo painted across it. the more and different ways they see you, the more likely they are to think of you when they want service.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
You are right in one thing, on average the customer is not going to see you directly. as was stated, they arnt home.

but having good looking equipment has to do with marketing that is not directly measurable. I forget what its called, but its about having potential customers see you on several fronts, see your flyer, flashers, radio, even billboards. Think about a commercial you see all the time, you dont really think about it untill you hear the ad on the radio.

good looking equipment is the same thing. its simply another front. say they see your flyer a couple times. and see you in a flasher or something. and then all of a sudden a big white 20 foot enclosed trailer next to them with your logo painted across it. the more and different ways they see you, the more likely they are to think of you when they want service.
Branding.

I agree that it is useful. I'm not saying it's ok to drive a beater and mow lawns shirtless. I just think people put way too much stock into it. Price is what ultimately rules the day.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Branding.

I agree that it is useful. I'm not saying it's ok to drive a beater and mow lawns shirtless. I just think people put way too much stock into it. Price is what ultimately rules the day.

I don't know any LCO's in my area that mow shirtless, even last year when it was over 100 degrees out. Good points though
Bobcat 763

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Pro-Vac)

21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Of course. That goes without saying. I can guarantee you though that the majority of my customers couldn't even pick my truck out of a lineup. They're not home when I'm mowing their lawn!
Isn't that the best, makes me feel like a landscaping ninja! this is when the landscaping ninja appears >> closest thing to a ninja I could find >> << Ninja leaving.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Branding.

so in other words, the person that gets the most work and makes the most money is the one who charges the least?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I will give you that we do not do brain surgury.
Can you imagine a surgeon managing their own lawn? I can. When it comes to taking care of a lawn they're not as smart as you might think.

Can you give us another example? Rocket scientist maybe? OOps! Nope! I've known one of those too. He wasn't that great at lawn mowing.

It's like that Prilosec commercial on TV. Do you want your doctor doing your job? I just HOPE my doctor is as good at his job as I am at mine.