Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Of course. That goes without saying. I can guarantee you though that the majority of my customers couldn't even pick my truck out of a lineup. They're not home when I'm mowing their lawn!
Sorry Creative, I gotta duke it out with you on this one

My trucks don't look good for my current customers...they look good for my FUTURE customers. When my guys are driving from lawn to lawn, this is when people see them the most. Not in some cul-de-sac out in the middle of no where.

I think a good truck/trailer will go a long way. I'd give it an 8 or 9 on the 1-10 scale. It's the image you are showing potential customers about your business. If you have a beat up old mini van towing a 5x8 trailer with a toro that looks like it won't make it through another lawn, whats a potential new customer going to think?

I think it plays a large part in your image, branding, and seriousness of building your business. On the flip side, if you are a solo op and want to stay solo, then I don't think it makes a difference. Your not trying to grow, your just trying to maintain.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
On the flip side, if you are a solo op and want to stay solo, then I don't think it makes a difference. Your not trying to grow, your just trying to maintain.
^^^ I strongly disagree.

You need to stay sharp, no matter. The customer you have today could be gone tomorrow. I'm always looking for new work/customers.

One never knows what opening the next door will bring. If one looks like a hack, there will be fewer doors to open.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ I strongly disagree.

You need to stay sharp, no matter. The customer you have today could be gone tomorrow. I'm always looking for new work/customers.

One never knows what opening the next door will bring. If one looks like a hack, there will be fewer doors to open.
I'm not saying it's ok to look like a hack. I'm saying its less important than a guy trying to brand and build a business. Big difference.

A solo op with a decent working truck and trailer will suffice.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry Creative, I gotta duke it out with you on this one

My trucks don't look good for my current customers...they look good for my FUTURE customers. When my guys are driving from lawn to lawn, this is when people see them the most. Not in some cul-de-sac out in the middle of no where.

I think a good truck/trailer will go a long way. I'd give it an 8 or 9 on the 1-10 scale. It's the image you are showing potential customers about your business. If you have a beat up old mini van towing a 5x8 trailer with a toro that looks like it won't make it through another lawn, whats a potential new customer going to think?

I think it plays a large part in your image, branding, and seriousness of building your business. On the flip side, if you are a solo op and want to stay solo, then I don't think it makes a difference. Your not trying to grow, your just trying to maintain.
Agree about the future customer part, but I don't think anyone in business really stays happy with no growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ I strongly disagree.

True!

On the flip side, do you think that "overly" nice/new/expensive looking trucks could hurt your business?

What I mean by that is, a guy driving a brand new platinum crew cab F350 Diesel towing an enclosed trailer with new equipment may look very expensive and someone wanting a simple cut of their lawn may not bother calling him because they may get the impression that his prices will be very high due to his overhead?

Licensed Insurance Agent in ME/NH/Mass
Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know quite a few who are happy with no growth. One has 125 customers, its him and a helper. He only keeps it at that and doesn't want to grow. Many guys on here are happy staying solo....theres only so much a solo op can do.

Over expensive...eh....I get what you mean. To me it would show the company has done well, they are proven, and many people must be happy with them. My father in law thinks the opposite, as he never drives his car to a quote- always an older company truck of his. To each their own on that one.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
Agree about the future customer part, but I don't think anyone in business really stays happy with no growth.

True!

On the flip side, do you think that "overly" nice/new/expensive looking trucks could hurt your business?

What I mean by that is, a guy driving a brand new platinum crew cab F350 Diesel towing an enclosed trailer with new equipment may look very expensive and someone wanting a simple cut of their lawn may not bother calling him because they may get the impression that his prices will be very high due to his overhead?
There's a company around here called scapes. His work trucks are lariats. Every truck matches. Burgundy with gold bottom

The whole crap on here about someone having an expensive truck is just an excuse for people to feel better about them selves

Your customer does care wether you realize it or not. Especially in the keeping up with the jones neighborhoods
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the high end neighborhoods for sure. Those places generally do things "just because" their neighbor is.

I just wonder if in some of the middle class style neighborhoods if some people pass on those higher end looking companies because they just want a simple service without the extra's and think they'll get it cheaper elsewhere.

I know that in my town most people post on facebook asking for teenage kids to come mow their lawn, I used to say something but have since given up.

Licensed Insurance Agent in ME/NH/Mass
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I know quite a few who are happy with no growth. One has 125 customers, its him and a helper. He only keeps it at that and doesn't want to grow. Many guys on here are happy staying solo....theres only so much a solo op can do.

Over expensive...eh....I get what you mean. To me it would show the company has done well, they are proven, and many people must be happy with them. My father in law thinks the opposite, as he never drives his car to a quote- always an older company truck of his. To each their own on that one.
Driving up in a Corvette or equivalently expense auto screams this guy charges too much. He is ripping people off.

Maybe not the truth but the it is the image that it projects.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Driving up in a Corvette or equivalently expense auto screams this guy charges too much. He is ripping people off.

Maybe not the truth but the it is the image that it projects.
Nah that's what YOU think. If you have a kitchen contractor pull up in an escalade what are you going to think? Would you rather someone pull up in a beat up 90s pos?

Even a "normal" work truck is approaching 40k these days.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I just wonder if in some of the middle class style neighborhoods if some people pass on those higher end looking companies because they just want a simple service without the extra's and think they'll get it cheaper elsewhere.

I know that in my town most people post on facebook asking for teenage kids to come mow their lawn, I used to say something but have since given up.
That's because they're more concerned with paying $15 for the mow, as opposed to getting a better product, without risk, at the correct price of $30. If those kids/low-ballers/whatever would charge appropriately, they could have nicer stuff, pay taxes, and have insurance. I care for two properties across from a guy mowing 4 properties for what I mow two. He's always looking over at me, if we're there at the same time. I'd love to explain it to him, so he could be making a living. Sometimes, I think they feel it's better than spending the day behind a fast food counter.

BTW, I mow crap to estates, so I'm not sure it hinders me in the lesser areas. For sure, I wouldn't be in the estate areas without my presentation.

Quote:

Well, hopefully, the appearance is more to the benefit of staying in and picking up nicer areas, versus what is lost to those who assume the LCO is going to be too high. I'd much rather work one nice property, instead of chasing four lesser properties. You can charge more because they're generally larger, upsell services, and reduce operating expenses by staying out from behind the windshield. I regularly preach that business model and its benefits.

I know of one guy who rocks a black, F550 CC pulling a black, 40' enclosed gooseneck. Everything about him and his crew is pristine. He does a lot of corporate and executive properties. His revenue numbers are staggering. He wouldn't be at that level without his presentation.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer