Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I guess rsk is a bad business man. His truck is no where bear stock
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I'm in tht class also. Rolling around in my dually on 22.5s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
10k for wheels....? .......... For WHEELS? In my eyes, when I see $10,000, I see a year of daycare paid off.
No matter how many millions I could have. I would never have enough to spend $10,000 for wheels.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whatever a car or truck costs.

For example a $30,000 vehicle with $10,000 wheels is still a $30,000 vehicle.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
work hard like my buddy did building his landscape company for 7 years, get 100 accounts to cut weekly, do some shrub pruning, some mulch jobs

open up a tree service, buy a bucket truck, chipper

he tells me how much he did one job for and some of his jobs he does in a 2 days or 3 days are more then I'll make all month and I crack 5 figures a month usually.
I continually preach offering other services; diversify. There's a lot of money in the landscape/other services side of property maintenance.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have bought my share of rims and tires in my life and I have no idea what $10,000 dollar wheels look like. My big trucks the ram 4500s I upgrade to Accoa rims on both of them at the time of purchase that was an extra $1,000 each. The stock tires cost nearly $400 each and there are 6 of them so $2,400 Plus what ever the cost was of the original steel rims before I had them upgraded so perhaps $4,000 per truck. But were talking about tires rated at 4,000 pounds each so I don't think those prices are out of line in the least.

I want to have aluminum wheels on all my trucks and trailers and I do. The reasons is they don't rust they are lighter and they save fuel and as an added bonus they look awesome.

As for prices of trucks and cars you would be surprised just how many people have no idea what things cost and couldn't care less. I do not know the prices of any cars you could be driving a BMW or a Mercedes or an Acura to me they are all pieces of Crap I wouldn't be caught dead in them. You like them great but get real if you think its a status symbol. I have no respect for them or their prices what so ever. And the people that drive them feel the exact same way about trucks. I have had many clients compliment me on getting a new truck in the past few years. Then they go on to guess they must of cost $30,000. Truth is they cost $65,000 each but to a car person they don't have a clue nor do they want one they just like that they are shiny and look nice in-front of their homes.

The point is that other than men who work for a living in trades like ours that actually buy and drive trucks most of your clients have no idea what the real costs of this business are. There is no need to debate if there is a maximum amount of money you can spend on your work truck before your clients will freak because they can't tell. They also cannot tell the difference in mower prices my 2 main mowers cost $17,000 each to my clients they look just like the ones they see in home depot.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Couldn't agree more, but $10,000 just seems like an obscene amount of money for wheels. It is an obscene amount of money lol. I need to start doing tree work. It would be nice to have that kind of disposable income.
he had the money before doing tree work, weekly maintenance pays big time...you just need volume, we are up in ct so our prices are much higher then down south. but mainly the hurricane sandy, and irene and the other little ones we had were the icing on the cake for him, he went out and bought his cigarette boat, used which was still 95k then the dually to tow which was 34k used and 4 years old at the time, then the wheels then a rolex also used new the watch is like 30k-40k he picked his up for 15k i think. then maintaining the boat for a few years. But he takes the watch off for doing estimates, that might turn people off and cost him jobs, but showing up in his dually has little to no effect. doing tree work if you don't know how could cost you your life, best to stick to doing what you can do safely. and about having disposable income that comes down charging enough to pay for your expenses, and leave money left for profit, which my buddy did very well. he also didn't buy anything at all for 6 years. he's the kinda guy who's equipment is constantly breaking or broken, rakes worn out and cracked, string trimmer needing replacing and he won't spend the money, but that's why he has so much he uses stuff way beyond needing to replaced.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I have bought my share of rims and tires in my life and I have no idea what $10,000 dollar wheels look like. My big trucks the ram 4500s I upgrade to Accoa rims on both of them at the time of purchase that was an extra $1,000 each. The stock tires cost nearly $400 each and there are 6 of them so $2,400 Plus what ever the cost was of the original steel rims before I had them upgraded so perhaps $4,000 per truck. But were talking about tires rated at 4,000 pounds each so I don't think those prices are out of line in the least.

I want to have aluminum wheels on all my trucks and trailers and I do. The reasons is they don't rust they are lighter and they save fuel and as an added bonus they look awesome.

As for prices of trucks and cars you would be surprised just how many people have no idea what things cost and couldn't care less. I do not know the prices of any cars you could be driving a BMW or a Mercedes or an Acura to me they are all pieces of Crap I wouldn't be caught dead in them. You like them great but get real if you think its a status symbol. I have no respect for them or their prices what so ever. And the people that drive them feel the exact same way about trucks. I have had many clients compliment me on getting a new truck in the past few years. Then they go on to guess they must of cost $30,000. Truth is they cost $65,000 each but to a car person they don't have a clue nor do they want one they just like that they are shiny and look nice in-front of their homes.

The point is that other than men who work for a living in trades like ours that actually buy and drive trucks most of your clients have no idea what the real costs of this business are. There is no need to debate if there is a maximum amount of money you can spend on your work truck before your clients will freak because they can't tell. They also cannot tell the difference in mower prices my 2 main mowers cost $17,000 each to my clients they look just like the ones they see in home depot.
You are dead on about that. Most have no clue how much stuff cost, and to them it doesn't really matter, they care that you show up as agreed, and do the job as agreed. That's honestly about it. you could drive a honda civic towing a 5x10 trailer with a few push mowers and if the lawn was cut each week before the customer got home i doubt they would care....as long as it looked good.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I have bought my share of rhere is no need to debate if there is a maximum amount of money you can spend on your work truck before your clients will freak because they can't tell
Customers are not my business advisors.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My guess is the guy driving the brand new bone stock F350 toting around nice reliable equipment, as well as the guy with the clean OBS Powerstroke and clean older but reliable equipment will be in business a hell of a lot longer then the guy with the brand new F-TeenThousand ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU&feature=kp ) with ten thousand dollar rims but won't spend $300 on a damn line trimmer. Jus sayin.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
My guess is the guy driving the brand new bone stock F350 toting around nice reliable equipment, as well as the guy with the clean OBS Powerstroke and clean older but reliable equipment will be in business a hell of a lot longer then the guy with the brand new F-TeenThousand ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU&feature=kp ) with ten thousand dollar rims but won't spend $300 on a damn line trimmer. Jus sayin.
Damn, learn the what the hell you are talking about before you post.

When you buy $10,000 wheels they come with the 5" long pointy and sharp lug nuts. You do not need an edger. Those lug nuts edge the lawn when you drive close to the curb. Everyone now about those $10,000 wheel and lug nuts.

Are you feeling embarrassed now for you saying that he should waste $300 and buy a edger that he has no need for?