Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Depends on if it's a diesel or not for one. If it's a diesel after 5 years they're still selling for 25-30k

Even after that, a new truck is a new truck. I enjoy having new trucks. It's what I like and I pay for
Posted via Mobile Device
Right but don't forget to mention they also cost more out the door, unlike the 50 thousand for a gas model diesels cost more like 70 thousand, that's why they're "still" worth 25-30 thousand after 5 years is because instead of having lost 33 thousand the diesel has lost 50-55 thousand of its value, it's not because it "kept" its value "better," ultimately it still lost right at two-thirds of its value, the reason it is still worth more is because it had more room to lose.

Last edited by herler; 06-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right but don't forget to mention they also cost more out the door, unlike the 50 thousand for a gas model diesels cost more like 70 thousand, that's why they're "still" worth 25-30 thousand after 5 years is because instead of having lost 33 thousand the diesel has lost 50-55 thousand of its value, it's not because it "kept" its value "better," ultimately it still lost right at two-thirds of its value, the reason it is still worth more is because it had more room to lose.
No

If you pay $70k for a truck that's stupid

A brand new 6.2 is 35-40 oth

A diesel can be had for 50
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
My guess is the guy driving the brand new bone stock F350 toting around nice reliable equipment, as well as the guy with the clean OBS Powerstroke and clean older but reliable equipment will be in business a hell of a lot longer then the guy with the brand new F-TeenThousand ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU&feature=kp ) with ten thousand dollar rims but won't spend $300 on a damn line trimmer. Jus sayin.
he's a top of the line self taught mechanic as well, so when something breaks he fixes, and he has 2 or 3 string trimmers, he just uses them until they are completely junk then fixes what absolutely needs to be fixed if its worth it or buys a new one if he absolutely needs it, but he's been in the landscaping for 10 years now, doubt he's gonna go out of business now....and he drove to florida with the boat back in 2012, there's probably pictures of our trip to miami. anyways he went and bought the wheels and tires directly from american force for 7000 with adapters and all 6 aluminum. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
Living rent free makes a big difference, plus it seems like your buddy went from the "proper" way of running his business to the complete opposite end of the spectrum - saving money, not spending it on useless stuff (like drinking, going out, etc) to spending all of it on items that depreciate horribly fast (boat, truck, wheels, etc).

Just odd that he'd go from one end to the other as soon as he starts making decent money. I'd hope by now he's purchased his own place to live in.
eh the boat is actually not that big of a bad investment, its not the best, but its one of the most desirable go fast boats out there. its entry level a national brokerage company that buys boats all the time offered him 95k for the boat. he's put about 30k into it maybe more but his initial money is still there and going to be there for quite some time. but you are right, the main reason he did that is because he was in a serious relationship for 7 or 8 years and she kept him focused on the money...and that's all he did. he also never experienced what it was like to be 20-29 for the most part. that's why he party's all the time now and spends more money. He rent's an apartment in nice apartment complex with his 19 month old son and girlfriend of 4 years. he's looking for a house, but he won't buy anything unless its really good deal like a forclosure that's going for 400k, but is a 700,000 house. he's all about the money. but dumping 80k into building a 9 second mustang that he parted out for 30k or less wasn't the smartest thing he did. but he'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
Completely understand that, and I'm not insinuating he's not smart. Regardless of being used, vehicles depreciate fast, wheels depreciate fast, boats depreciate faster, etc. A house will appreciate and if he's spending $90k+ on a boat, then a house or some property would be a decent investment (as I said in my first post, I'm assuming he has purchased property at this point).
he's been looking but still no property, he somehow gets to keep his stuff in his parents 2 car garage. that he took over at 18 and they are fine with it.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with you. I love the ones crying over price/slow payers too, with 5 loaves of bread under each arm.
12' Open Trailer
Easy Dump
52" Great Dane
2 - 36" Wright Standers
3 - RedMax Blowers
2 - RedMax Line Trimmers
Lesco 16hp Vanguard Leaf Loader
Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I do think apperance matters and I wouldnt buy a beater truck and trailer. Although im 14 and roll up to $500,000-1000000 dollar homes on my johndeere lawn tractor and trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Can you give an example of a similarly equipped truck of the same brand that has a $20,000 difference in price between a gas engine and a diesel engine? I don't think you can.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Can you give an example of a similarly equipped truck of the same brand that has a $20,000 difference in price between a gas engine and a diesel engine? I don't think you can.

Hell up here Ram dealers are giving away diesel engines at no extra cost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck/Trailer Appearance

At. Most diesel is a 10k option. Now if you get the truck fully loaded then it's 70-90 k
Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck/Trailer Appearance

Some rich people are all about show. They want the best of everything. So the best looking lawn crew they thing is the best. New truck and trailer looks better in front of mansions. They don't want a leaking old rusty truck pulling up. That's embarrassing to their reputation of having the best. So may also go with you because you are the most expensive therefore the best in their eye.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
Some rich people are all about show. They want the best of everything. So the best looking lawn crew they thing is the best. New truck and trailer looks better in front of mansions. They don't want a leaking old rusty truck pulling up. That's embarrassing to their reputation of having the best. So may also go with you because you are the most expensive therefore the best in their eye.
not very true, most people who have money, have it because they are smart. not dumb so they probably aren't likely to go with most expensive guy. but the hard working guy who does a great job and may or may not have a brand new looking truck, but also not 2,000 dollar piece of junk that is all rusted out either. You are right they don't want a leaking old rusted truck, but it is possible to have an old very lightly rusted truck pull up and washed and maintained so its not leaking and looks presentable....