Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

it's not that I don't value other opinions. even though I know I come across that way a lot.

it's this listen to me and do or try things my way because I've been doing it longer than you attitude I don't care. there are MANY ways to run and operate this business. what works for one may not work for another. and just because you have so many years in the business doesn't mean your ideas or ways are any better or more important than someone with less time in.

plus I don't really think I try to debate why someone else's idea will or won't work. I always feel anyway, that my posts are just me putting down my ideas and ways I do things. I only defensive when I sense that attitude above.

but I'll work on how I come across on this site because I do find it very useful and value most people's input on this site.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

While I may not have all brand new equipment, it is definitely the cleanest, shiniest, most taken care of I have ever come across. I am absolutely OCD about all my equipment. My truck is ALWAYS clean and has perfectly polished paint that ALWAYS has a coat of sealant on it. It has zero rust and is undercoated multiple times a year. All power tools, aerators, tractor, etc. get coated with Fluid Film on a regular basis, all paint chips get fixed immediately, and any scratches/scuffs get dealt with right away. All of the customers I have dealt with have complimented me on my flawless equipment, and I have no doubt that I have gotten some business solely because of that.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Northern Turf Man,

Wow! I guess you are a little OCD about your equipment. It's obviously helped you and that's pretty cool. What you do is something I'm trying to be more proactive about. My whole thing is that my equipment isn't new, but I know that cleaning it, etc. can make the appearance a lot more suitable than dirty and greasy all the time.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you've got a ton of stuff it doesn't take that much time to keep it clean, I usually blow off my stuff after each account which really helps keep the buildup down, I don't wash every week but if it starts looking really dirty usually a couple of weeks I wash it.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say it matters a decent amount probably 6-7, I think new trucks are less important then, new equipment. but either way things need to be maintained and look good in order to be taken seriously. Like my truck has 273,000 miles on it but it could probably pass for having 150,000 less miles on it. I wash my truck about once every 3 months, unless it gets really muddy then i'll rinse it off. my mower is new and that in my opinion counts for a lot, although my old mower which was 2005 which i bought new only had 983hrs on it still looked new, because it was garage kept since day one, which my new mower is as well. same with my little wonder. I would rate my 16 year old truck at 6 or 7 out of 10. its no where near perfect, but its pretty clean for the mileage and age, and a lot customers comment on it, even though it hardly ever wash it, it stays pretty clean on its own.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

It is important

I am new to this site, retired military and this is one of my pet peeves that I have learned over the years. Appearance is more important that most people realize. In this line of work, it means your equipment and yourself.
The first impression people (potential customers) have of you is what they see..before you even say a word. It is not very hard to clean your equipment and maintain it so it looks professional. It shows something I think if you don't. I have a friend and his dad owned a million dollar company. When someone interviewed for the job, his dad would send an employee out to look at the prospective employee's vehicle to see if it was nice and clean, inside and out or looked like a dumpster on wheels. If it looked like the latter, that person was not hired. I totally understand this frame of mind. I admit I am OCD and probably take it to the extreme, but it has paid off time and time again.
Good luck to all of you in 2013, and let's kick some ass..I mean grass.
Jeff W.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jeff, that's one reason people like hiring vets, they get it.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Truck/Trailer Appearance

I am a new lawn care business owner. I started off with a 2001 Nissan Maxima with a small trailer. No one seemed to mind, I recently purchased a 07 silverado and my customers seem to be very impressed and really like that I went to a truck. Many of my customers care about what equipment is being used to mow their lawns (in the high end clientele). My opinion is that people will always care about what you and your tools look like as long as pricing is competitive. Lawn care boils down to reliability, customer service and of course the quality of work. Equipment will help you in 2 of these categories. However keeping overhead down is key. Buy things as you need them. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Stewart
Toro Proline 52
Toro Commercial 21' Kawasaki
Bluebird Core Aerator
Shindaiwa RS41 Spreader
Stihl FS90R
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
My primary target neighborhoods have home values averaging in the mid 275K-350K range. It's a new suburb, very clean, etc...

My question is: on a 1-10, how much significance should I place on the appearance of my truck and equipment (equipment only not personal appearance?) I know personal appearance is important but that's not what I'm worried about.

What are your thoughts?

I would give it an 8 always

To me presentation is 15% of the package.

The vehicle, trailer, equipment is important as its a constant advertisement for the business and is the first perception the customer will have of you.

None of it has to be brand new, just maintained and looking professional.

Vehicle - cleaned washed regularly (every couple weeks) no mud covering windows or brake dust caked on the rims.

Trailer - S/b DOT legal always. If some rust forms, a little touch up paint goes along ways. Also, if the transport doesn't take care of the debris inside the trailer, hit it with the blower of an evening.

Equipment (Except handhelds) - Pressure washer, weekly and then dry with blower, don't want water pooling around bearings or on deck. Plus cleaning the cooling fins and pumps will keep them running cooler and help extend the life.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck/trailer appearance has been important to me. Ive had decent luck with basic signs and a clean truck (usually) & trailer/equipment.

Everything needs a good cleaning but its freezing out