Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM

You should make the effort to have the best of everything for plenty of reasons - appearance and productivity.

But that doesn't mean people won't hire you with a 2002 truck and 5 year old equipment. It's a process.

I certainly don't think it ever makes sense to go out and buy a $50,000 truck and $40,000 worth of equipment if you cannot justify the expense and recover your investment.

When your truck, trailer, equipment and employees appear clean and well-kept, it does make an impression. People do take notice, just like they would if your rust-bucket pulled up with everything duct-taped, oil and black smoke spilling and pouring out all over the place.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with sean. Keep it clean and fix the rust.....Rustoleum works great for trucks and trailers. You can paint both for under $50 with either a brush and roller or air sprayer. Google a poormans paint job..
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer is kept clean after every day's use. Truck is washed when needed and by needed I mean washed and waxed weekly. I have an open trailer so for me its the smaller things that count having the gas tanks facing the same way, making sure everything is strapped down tight. When people who may not be my clients are out walking their dog I greet them. Its the little things.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

You have to crawl before you walk. I've seen people working out the back of their trunk out cut the big boys. Don't get cocky don't get lazy.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
You should make the effort to have the best of everything for plenty of reasons - appearance and productivity.

But that doesn't mean people won't hire you with a 2002 truck and 5 year old equipment. It's a process.

I certainly don't think it ever makes sense to go out and buy a $50,000 truck and $40,000 worth of equipment if you cannot justify the expense and recover your investment.

When your truck, trailer, equipment and employees appear clean and well-kept, it does make an impression. People do take notice, just like they would if your rust-bucket pulled up with everything duct-taped, oil and black smoke spilling and pouring out all over the place.
I agree 100% Sean. I remember hearing something as a young boy that has stuck with me thru all of the years. It's in reference to what kind of people other people want to do business with. The saying is short and simple:
"Even a drunkard doesn't want to do business with a drunkard"....and how true this is.

Most potential customers want to do business with people that make an effort to look presentable, and act in a professional manner. They also, in most cases, don't want to do business with someone that curses every other word. It just comes across as very unprofessional, and in my opinion, offensive.

Some business owners throw the "F" word around like it's nothing, and the "GD's" (which are, in my opinion, much worse that the "F" bomb) are sprinkled throughout their sentences as if they were completely necessary.

I'm shocked nowadays at how many younger business people aren't aware of these basic principles. They spend a lot of time and money worrying about details that are absolutely moot points if the basics aren't right to start with.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with everybody, the estimate is the first impression. Good looking truck, even if its older keep it clean, clean shirt, maybe a polo shirt, good letterhead, clipboard etc. Then the trucks and trailers come after that. In season trucks get washed every friday and trailer every other. Power wash all my mowers and such one a month (i try) and paint where scratched. Every winter, if the mower is a little beat, i tape off all the decals and paint the machine and good as new. . Everybody around knows me for my good looking stuff and team. It feels nice to know that but honestly i just want my stuff to last haha. Here's one i just got done with, its a 2007 viking with 584 hours.
Attached Images

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's a great looking mower, just proves it ain't gotta be new to look new, just maintain and keep your stuff fresh and clean, it isn't that hard, I just don't get these guys that don't give a rats butt about what their stuff looks like. And the ones that go out there and look and act like they just crawled out of the dumpster! and talk like they just came out of a cave.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this was my lawn truck for 13 years-recently replaced. It was always clean, and sold in a week. Trailer gets a fresh coat of paint every spring. Appearance still matters to me.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
this was my lawn truck for 13 years-recently replaced. It was always clean, and sold in a week. Trailer gets a fresh coat of paint every spring. Appearance still matters to me.
What year is this truck? I kept one just like it (with the exception of the wheels) from 2000 until late 2012....it was an '09. I had great luck with it, I never turned a bolt on it except for routine maintenance. I really like the wheels on yours too...where they stock?

Stan
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I ever figure how to post pics on here I will post a pic of mine, that's a dang good looking truck. I like that color.