Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
What year is this truck? I kept one just like it (with the exception of the wheels) from 2000 until late 2012....it was an '09. I had great luck with it, I never turned a bolt on it except for routine maintenance. I really like the wheels on yours too...where they stock?

Stan
I'm going to have to slow down a little when posting......I meant to say my truck was a '99....not an '09. And meant "were" not "where".
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stan, that truck is a 99 as well, I bought it new and it served me well. Those are american raceing wheels, the tandem trailer wears them to match.(gonna have to change them now) I've always run a red truck/red trailer combo, sorta my MO. Here's the new lawnmobile, my 5th red F150.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

IMOP You just can't go wrong with a Ford, my dad had them, It's all I've owned and most likely will own.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

10. Unless you are in your first couple of years.
Look at big name companies in your area and take notice of how they carry themselves.
OR ~ Does the cable company come rolling up in a rusty van?
So you should ask yourself ~ How can I make my company look more professional? Brand your company name is one thing, but when you show up with a rusted out truck customers take notice.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
Stan, that truck is a 99 as well, I bought it new and it served me well. Those are american raceing wheels, the tandem trailer wears them to match.(gonna have to change them now) I've always run a red truck/red trailer combo, sorta my MO. Here's the new lawnmobile, my 5th red F150.
Good looking truck!
I'm a Ford guy when it comes to trucks. I kept a 1970 F100 Ranger (blk/ grey int) for 23 years. I bought it in 1980 and restored it. I put all late model disc brakes, rack and pinion power steering, and FMX auto tranny, factory AC, nice custom interior, nice stereo, etc etc. It drove like a new truck and i ended up restoring it 2 more times. I ended up selling it it 2003 for 12,500... it was nice.
Anyway, I'm with you on the Ford trucks...can't beat'em in my book!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What it all boils down to is price. If you have junk but the lawn looks good when u r done, the cheapest price gets the job. So bid your asses off boys and undercut the other guy by a dollar. As a rule, the bigger the house, the cheaper the customer. They are usually clueless when it comes to the value of physical work and would like you to work for nothing if you are foolish enough to do it. Go into a more modest neighborhood and you will find less flak about prices.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
What it all boils down to is price. If you have junk but the lawn looks good when u r done, the cheapest price gets the job. So bid your asses off boys and undercut the other guy by a dollar. As a rule, the bigger the house, the cheaper the customer. They are usually clueless when it comes to the value of physical work and would like you to work for nothing if you are foolish enough to do it. Go into a more modest neighborhood and you will find less flak about prices.
Interesting point...have you found this to be true through experience?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every spring my mowers get cleaned up.
My trailer which I hope to replace sometime this season, will have the wood floor and sides restained and the metal frame repainted Hunter green with a brush.

When you pull up to old or new clients you need to look good to create a favorable impression that your equipment is kept in good shape because it creates the impression that you and your equipment are dependable.

Also wax my Jeep as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestLandscape View Post
I agree with everybody, the estimate is the first impression. Good looking truck, even if its older keep it clean, clean shirt, maybe a polo shirt, good letterhead, clipboard etc. Then the trucks and trailers come after that. In season trucks get washed every friday and trailer every other. Power wash all my mowers and such one a month (i try) and paint where scratched. Every winter, if the mower is a little beat, i tape off all the decals and paint the machine and good as new. . Everybody around knows me for my good looking stuff and team. It feels nice to know that but honestly i just want my stuff to last haha. Here's one i just got done with, its a 2007 viking with 584 hours.
Wow! That thing looks great! If u wanted to sell it, it would sell instantly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
You must be one of those lowballing cut boys, no selling ability.