Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Square footage question!

Wanted to get some opnions on how ya'll rate yard sizes. Tryn to put together a pricing guideline.

a 1-8000 sf= small lawn
b 8000-16,000 sf= medium lawn
c 16,000-24,000 sf= large lawn
d 24,000 + xl lawn

Are my numbers close to what you guys would use?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I go by total property size rather than lawn size. Having to deal with odd lawn shapes for measurements is a huge hassle. I start with 6k sq.ft. properties and go up from there. In general, I go up in price each 1k sq.ft. until I hit 12k and then things get wider apart.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude my opinion, you're making it a lot harder than it needs to be. Don't try to pre determine your prices. Each yard you should price accordingly. Figure out what your hourly rate needs to be and go from there. From your numbers you're saying a half acre is a "XL" lawn. But where I come from that's not very large. You're just going to get a bunch of random people's opinions when asking that broad of a question.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can however Google search for the average lot size in your area. That may be a place to start.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
I go by total property size rather than lawn size. Having to deal with odd lawn shapes for measurements is a huge hassle. I start with 6k sq.ft. properties and go up from there. In general, I go up in price each 1k sq.ft. until I hit 12k and then things get wider apart.
Right.Was looking to see if I can come as close to matching sq ft to the time it takes to complete the job.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
Dude my opinion, you're making it a lot harder than it needs to be. Don't try to pre determine your prices. Each yard you should price accordingly. Figure out what your hourly rate needs to be and go from there. From your numbers you're saying a half acre is a "XL" lawn. But where I come from that's not very large. You're just going to get a bunch of random people's opinions when asking that broad of a question.
From what I've noticed in my area most customers would like a ball park figure,on what its gonna run.I understand that in my personal buying as well.
If I go to have my windows tinted.I want a close to or a direct price. I dont want a suprise price after the work is done.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
From what I've noticed in my area most customers would like a ball park figure,on what its gonna run.I understand that in my personal buying as well.
If I go to have my windows tinted.I want a close to or a direct price. I dont want a suprise price after the work is done.
I think I was misunderstood. I'm just saying to start keeping track of how long it takes YOU to do certain tasks. How long does it take you to edge 1000sq ft? How long to mow 5000sq ft? How long does it take you to blow off 1000sq ft of sidewalk, etc? I always recommend seeing the property first before giving them a firm price. Figure out how long you'll be there and use your hourly rate to determine the price of the job. You can't just say " if you have X sq ft I'll mow for this." There's other things to factor in if you want your business to stay afloat.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think I was misunderstood. I'm just saying to start keeping track of how long it takes YOU to do certain tasks. How long does it take you to edge 1000sq ft? How long to mow 5000sq ft? How long does it take you to blow off 1000sq ft of sidewalk, etc? I always recommend seeing the property first before giving them a firm price. Figure out how long you'll be there and use your hourly rate to determine the price of the job. You can't just say " if you have X sq ft I'll mow for this." There's other things to factor in if you want your business to stay afloat.
Listen to what APL is trying to tell you. No two properties are the same. Even if they have the exact same sqftage, they will be different. So each property is different. Now do as APL said and time yourself to find out how long jobs will take you. Then you can give a price by just looking. No fancy math involved, no measuring wheel at all. As others said, you're making it harder then it needs to be.

Last edited by orangemower; 12-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are right, no two properties are the same. It just takes time, you have to get out there and do some so that you learn how long it takes you, then you base future prices off your own experience.

I know it sounds awful hairy and scary but that's how most of us do it, dive in head first, don't be scared, give some estimates and go from there, you will miss some but we all did (and to a point still do), it will be all right.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
Right.Was looking to see if I can come as close to matching sq ft to the time it takes to complete the job.
Too many variables as stated above. Lawn A is 7 acres and takes 3 of us 2.5hours to mow and trim. Lawn B is 7.25 acres and takes 3 of us 4.5 - 5.5hours to mow and trim. 1/4 of an acre more but there is a lot more trimming and we have to A)bag B)use smaller mowers because of the the obstacles.