Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
For those of us in more rural areas all of those would be small lawns.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
wz2p7j wz2p7j is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 50
For us a small lawn is about 10 acres and a large lawn is about 70-125 acres, but it's kinda what we specialize in.

Chris
__________________
1 GMC 6500
3 GMC 4500's
3 GMC 2500's
3 21' trailers
1 26' trailer
9 72" Exmark riders
5 60" Exmark riders
1 60" Exmark walk behind
1 34" Trim mower
1 16' Jacobsen
1 11' Jacobsen
Some other stuff ...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM
guitarman2420 guitarman2420 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 239
Goodness, a small yard = 10 acres? So how do you make a living a that? Large crew, or self op? It seems you would have to charge a huge amount for that. In my case, I'm like the taxi driver, the $ are in "moving and scooting". Having several yards in close proximity and trying to do 2-3 yards an hour.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by wz2p7j View Post
For us a small lawn is about 10 acres and a large lawn is about 70-125 acres, but it's kinda what we specialize in.

Chris
I believe that defies the definition of "lawn"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 AM
GSO LAWNEN4CER GSO LAWNEN4CER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
The only thing I price by sq ft (actually cubic foot) is mulch. I only do that for large jobs (> 10 yards). Otherwise, after a while you can just look at an area and guess how much mulch it will take and how long it will take you (hilly vs. flat). Yards are pretty easy, like people have said. The only people I see that price by sq ft are the big boys (Large scale operators) that want to extract as much from the client as they can.
Its that the whole reason for starting a business?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 AM
GSO LAWNEN4CER GSO LAWNEN4CER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Price by SF. That's scary, ill have none of that please.....
Posted via Mobile Device
I kno right! You can eyeball some stuff,but if your not pricing by the sq/ft then your leaving money on the table.If you know what your mower can do in productivity.Your losing money if not pricing by the sq/ft.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
I kno right! You can eyeball some stuff,but if your not pricing by the sq/ft then your leaving money on the table.If you know what your mower can do in productivity.Your losing money if not pricing by the sq/ft.
So you would go around with a magic wheel and measure 17 acres to get the exact Sq. footage? 1/2 acre or less this might work, anything larger than that and you're wasting time getting exact dimensions IMHO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
So you would go around with a magic wheel and measure 17 acres to get the exact Sq. footage? 1/2 acre or less this might work, anything larger than that and you're wasting time getting exact dimensions IMHO.
Still better be within 10% or else your cost could kill you or your bids will be so far off the mark you never get the work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Still better be within 10% or else your cost could kill you or your bids will be so far off the mark you never get the work.
We are usually on par with other companies bidding properties. I have seen guys with a wheel marking off parking lots for plowing. I understand they are trying to dial in on the size of the property but how much time is spent trying to get exact measurements? Before I send in a survey crew to measure properties I'll take my chances with the systems we have in place.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
We are usually on par with other companies bidding properties. I have seen guys with a wheel marking off parking lots for plowing. I understand they are trying to dial in on the size of the property but how much time is spent trying to get exact measurements? Before I send in a survey crew to measure properties I'll take my chances with the systems we have in place.
You made it sound like you pulled numbers out of your hat. Now you have a system. Frankly, I do not own wheel either...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.08101 seconds with 7 queries