Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

VTS problem

Last warm day this year so I finally pulled the VTS off and put the wheels on and to my surpise the entire bearing was gone, literally nothing left on the inside. I knew something was wrong but felt like a boogie wheel. I don't even know how it stayed together as nothing was holding it in. Guess I will have to call for a replacement but expecting that to be a lot so I will hunt down a spare set to use as parts.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I have replaced a few front hubs, they are about $950 if my memory is correct. How many hours do you have on the set? Ours started to go right about 2000-2500 hours like clockwork.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how many hours, bought the set of ironplanet. I have personally put over 600 hours on them. Checked the other side nd there is a tiny bit of play. I was surprised it didn't fall off as nothing was holding it together and can see it wore the metal off on the track side. Will find out this week what it costs, did you go loegering direct or a local dealer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I had to go through a local dealer. After Terex acquired loegering they no longer sell direct. I have searched and tried to find loegering parts online for a discount, but had no luck, so I just ordered through my local dealer.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only good thing is you didn't lose any downtime. I agree your best bet is to buy an extra set for parts since Terex is ridiculous on parts pricing.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Real happy it didn't break in the middle of the season and I have the winter to track down new parts. I am going to have new parts priced out but I think if I can find a good used set for cheap I will go that route. I wish there was a way to service the bearings.

Anyone know what ever happened to KR Traxx?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He is still going, just isn't online. I'll pm his contact info.

The last I heard a hub was about $1,000...
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have replaced a couple of hubs also. The last one was close to $1,000. I have also replaced the bearings and seal in a couple of hubs. The factory told me they were not rebuildable but I have had no problems with the ones I fixed.
It looks like your hub is beyond repair. I have an extra old set of VTS just for this very reason. I have a couple of old hubs but they are probably worn too far to fix.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a few that someone took the time to install a custom zerk fitting. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I just helped a buddy change a set of vts tracks a few days ago. It took us a full day and a half to do it with 3-4 guys. And I did a track change and sprocket change on a New Holland C185 last week in 3 hours with one other guy. So I am not a complete idiot when it comes to changing ctl tracks, but these VTS kicked my butt.

Do you guys always take the entire track set off machine to swap tracks? The factory told us to completely take them off to change tracks. Also do you guys ever slip a track on a jobsite? how do you get it back on? do you take off the track system to remount the track?