Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought Red Wings last January. By June the sole was shot. $175 down the tubes. And they couldn't be re soles. My $85 Timberland Pros last about 2 yrs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Timberland Pro for me as well
Shindaiwa String Trimmers
Echo Blowers
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I have a pair of Ariat workhogs. So far im loving them, all my boots are roper/ cowboy style. With grip soles. Love them. I cant wear a lace up work boot.
Posted via Mobile Device
My favorite also. On my second pair. The first pair lasted 2 years and had plenty of sole left just started leaking water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

My Belleville combat boots are amazing they have been worn for the past 4 months non stop here in South Florida where the season is from January to December. Make sure you get some good insoles for your comfort they have great deals at Sports Authority/ Dicks Sporting goods/ and all other shoe stores. Best of wishes to all this New Year!
God bless
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by former farmer View Post
Not all of the Redwings are Made in USA. I own two pair of Redwings and one is Made in USA and the other China. Basically the same price for both pairs. If labor is that much cheaper in China, why were the boots basically the same price?
Same with Justin... That's what I use. Made in China though. I didn't realize it until later. They are water proof, steel toe and comfortable. A link:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...f+boot&Ntk=All
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
http://www.danner.com/radicaltm-452-...ing-boots.html

I think steel toes for LCO's aren't practical. That steel toe would just be something else for the surgeon to dig out of your foot if your foot went under a deck.

I've had 5 pairs of these.
Gore tex makes them waterproof
Mesh uppers make them comfortable in hot weather.
The hiking boot sole makes them not slip on wet grass

Since they're hiking boots not work boots they don't wear well. I wear out a pair every year. And I mostly ride not walk. But they're just so darned nice on my old feet. If it's freezing I wear wool sox. Polypropelyne sox if it's hot.

I've had Merrill's and they will bend at the arch not at the ball of the foot like Danner. That'll give you plantair facituis.

I have some Keen sandals I wear sometimes. I've never tried their boots.
Yep! I wore Merrill's for a few years on the advice of others. Plantar Fasciitis bigtime, along with something called "predislocation syndrome" where the bottom structure of your foot literally starts to fall apart and the 2nd toe will start to drop through it. Almost crippled me. They feel ok when you wear them, but I never had the problem till I wore them. Switched back to my old kind and the feet are getting better already. I have an extra pair I bought I'm gonna put on Ebay soon. The Merrill's just don't have the insole for tons of walking, I guess. (8 mi/day on average). Mine did last fine, though.

As for the Danners...46 oz. Oofah! I need to do some squat work before I wear boots that heavy.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I envy you all that can wear a pair of boots for a year or more...as this surely saves $$$. For me, considering all the brands/types of footwear I've tried over the years...I NEVER get more than 3 months of use out of them before I begin to 'feel the need' for a new pair. Could be a foot pain or knee or hip or lowback...but when I begin to feel it, it is quickly remedied by a new pair of mowing shoes.

Operating a WB as a solo, I put a premium on comfort...especially in morning dew and the Summer heat. I prefer a midtop hiking boot for protection and stability. Too many work-type boots don't have an aggressive enough tread to deal with slopes and rough terrain, particularly when it's wet. Running shoes, unless an off-road type, are made for smooth/hard surfaces.

My choice: http://vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7476-v...eluga-gunmetal Vasque is owned by Redwing. These use Goretex XCR (Extended Comfort Range) which breathes well in the heat...making use of the mesh uppers. They also come in wide sizes.

Whatever shoe/boot you choose, find your size, then order online to save $$. I consistently find the above for <$120 shipped to my front door.

My feet do not ache at the end of the day nor in the mornings. Can one put a price on this?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy American, they're better quality and might help