Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
That's what I'm trying to decide. We have to leave Colorado because one of my family members is have respiration issues with the high altitude. We've decided to go to Florida because we have friends there in several places around the state.

I'd like to go where the potential for real estate recovery appreciation will be the highest, and where the prospects for a new landscaping business will be the greatest.

Plan on moving in the next couple months. Going down house hunting right after the holidays.
For real estate recovery appreciation that will be the highest, and the prospects for a new landscaping business will be the greatest will be in Central Florida. The Orlando area is where the recovery is the best in the state. Most anywhere along the I-4 corridor would be good. From Hillsborough County north to Citrus County and across the state I personally would stay away from either coast at least twenty miles just because of the tourist Industry being what it is both coast draw them like flies and it can be a total mess and nightmare on the roadways.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Good point. I'll also note that if you move to Stuart area, you will need to work in palm beach county. Martin county is a disaster in regards to pricing and competition. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Florida Gardener: Interesting point about Martin County. Curious if you can expand a little bit. I live in Stuart and I've thought that things were kind of quirky in regards to household income/pricing...lots of competition and services saturating the market? Curious just as to what exactly your take is on the situation and what causes it as well. Maybe I will look for expansion to the south. PSL doesn't seem much different. Would love to hear more of your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That's what I'm trying to decide. We have to leave Colorado because one of my family members is have respiration issues with the high altitude. We've decided to go to Florida because we have friends there in several places around the state.

I'd like to go where the potential for real estate recovery appreciation will be the highest, and where the prospects for a new landscaping business will be the greatest.

Plan on moving in the next couple months. Going down house hunting right after the holidays.
So have you decided when you'll be moving and what part of the state you'll be moving into. The thing is that starting and building your business shouldn't be a big problem, its gotten to the point that its one sub-division or trailer park after another.
I myself am setting in a sub-division that has like 1800 homes and I never leave the place unless I have to buy gas and I stay busy about all year around, and there seems to be plenty of work. What ever location you decide on I'm sure you'll get plenty of work.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

You might want to rethink Florida's high summer heat & humidity which can cause breathing problems for those persons with problems.

Arizona with it's drier climate might be a better choice for breathing problems.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
You might want to rethink Florida's high summer heat & humidity which can cause breathing problems for those persons with problems.

Arizona with it's drier climate might be a better choice for breathing problems.

I would agree with Ric on this, another thought I am not sure if it plays a problem with the person effected with breathing problems but you should consult the doctor about, allergies. Florida is full of Allergens and it is not uncommon for those that have successfully lived in other parts of the country to come here to develop issues with Allergens. Just a thought

In terms of areas that would recover well. I am going to say the Orlando area as although we are based in tourism like most of Florida, we have lots of working class to middle upper class families here. You will not get premium dollars here but should be able to make a comfortable living I would think.

If you want to do top dollar work and get paid for it - look in Florida Gardeners area of Jupiter / Jupiter island where there is a large concentration of wealth. Along with other areas of wealth concentration like Boca, Naples, Sanibel/Captiva - each market has its challenges so be prepared to figure them out and give yourself time to establish into the area and meet those challenges.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Ric I didn't know you had a ric Jr mowing grass. Ric1
12 grandkids
1attorney
1CPA
1Mortage Company
6 insurance companies
cant figure out why I cant retire this year.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bug_guy View Post
Ric I didn't know you had a ric Jr mowing grass. Ric1
Dave

I only claim two off spring legally and neither one cuts grass.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, you should move here to NC, we're about 200 feet above sea level where I live. I can be above 5000 feet elevation in about 4 hours and snow ski. It's not Colorado powder, but it's what we've got. We're also about 2-1/2 hours from the coast if you want the beach. Good luck with the move, I grew up on the east coast of Florida, near the space center.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it possible to build up to a few maintenance crews?

I know there are a lot of one man bands down there with no overhead that keep the rates real low so Im just wondering if that is the norm or if there are also plenty of multi crew companies that operate?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Is it possible to build up to a few maintenance crews?

I know there are a lot of one man bands down there with no overhead that keep the rates real low so Im just wondering if that is the norm or if there are also plenty of multi crew companies that operate?
A lot of the multi crew companies here are lowballers. The companies that work on the high end stuff do well. I'm not talking the wannabee crowd, but the wealthy crowd. There are a lot of wannabee jokers that live here but have more debt than assets.
Posted via Mobile Device