Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mid-day basketball break for employees?

I know all about time constraints but anyone ever schedule in 20 minutes for play? For some of the larger crews I can only imagine some of the daily smack chat that would go on before & after a short game of 3 on 3. If I were an employee it'd definitely give me something to look forward to other than lunch & quitting time. For family guys there are so many after hours obligations already that a little play during the work day would do a lot of good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 12-15-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm solo myself so scheduling play time in the day for employees doesn't happen but I don't work myself so hard I don't take a few min here and there for "play" time.

I'll check personal email or ebay on my iPhone. little things like that. the few times a year I do get a helper sometimes we pull up to a property and chat for like 10-15 before ever getting out of the truck or getting equipment off the trailer or fired up.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im much like you but I can see the benefits for guys with crews. Employee attendance may increase, exercise without 2-stroke fumes in your face is always good. Healthy competition & teamwork alike. I would clarify that we don't want any busted noses or anything to contend with & I'd tell them they are still on the clock but at 2/3rds rate or something affordable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 12-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can imagine some fun trash-talk: Stevo drives to the rim like he's edging around Mrs.Smiths flagpole.
Ernesto guards me like he's trimming the Franks back hedges. Your dribbling looks like your trying to start the Husky blower.
Whatever, not so good with these I know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

oh I think having a little play time during the work day is a good thing.

too many guys wanna work, work, work 24/7.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked at a golf course, we used to have a mid day soccer match with the Mexicans. The mechanic had welded together some metal and made some nice little goals and we would shut both sides of the gates and play on the concrete. The Superinetendent and everyone else would play.

Another larger business/corperation that I worked for bought a ping pong table and we would have matches and tournements during lunch. Somebody was always at the table no matter what time of day.

These types of things come higly recommended by 'team building' and 'efficiency' experts.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thing I would be concearned about is an employee twisting his ankle while playing. You/your workman's comp, is going to be liable since he was on the clock
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good point, was just considering it as a good jesture. Otherwise some guys might not be game with burning up 1/2 hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am solo and do not have this too think about. I have no customers that have a goal that would let this happen. If I had a crew then you get the work done and come to my place and play ball all you want. I might even through in some drinks.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The guys I've had work for me would rather just work and get it over with. They don't even want to take a lunch. I'm the same way.