No at 12 they stop and eat for 30 minutes then 1230 back to work
It's funny 12 out of 13 are ok brinning lunch only 1 is not
Sucks loosing a worker but it only takes one worker to ruin the rest
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I let people take an hour lunch, relax, and all that. Im not here to slave drive. Im just not going to have people take 45 minutes to get lunch and then expect an hour to eat...
no the 1hr includes driving to the place, standing in line, and eating. 1hr total. not 1hr 45min lol.

we always stopped on the way to the next yard so our lunch didn't start until we got to the eating joint. so we had 5-10 min to order our food and sit down and then 50-55min to eat and relax.

now that i'm solo i usually only spend 30min for lunch. i'm not trimming all day though either. i'm sitting on a mower alot so that's not very hard work. i just relax doing that or driving between jobs. i often get a drink or whatever after edging or trimming before i get on the mower. i just work at my own pace which is what i love most about having my own business.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not with my crews just add up the money we waste while guys slack off even if it only 5 to 10 minutes a day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw you save a lot of money brinning lunch and drinks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do provide a big cooler stocked with water and ice. First of all its EXPENSIVE buying a bottle or two or four at the gas station and second my guys appreciate the gesture and it keeps up all going
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

eating a sandwich everyday for lunch just gets old. i'm not much of a sandwich eater. it's ok every now and then but not every day.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not out of line at all. I had a boss once that made us bring everyday UNLESS we were close enough to walk to a restaurant. I would remind them that the time you give them starts when they stop working. If you give them an hour and it takes them 50 minutes to get their food then they better be able to eat it in 10. I had a crew once that kept a microwave in their truck so they didn't eat cold sandwiches everyday.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i am not a big fan of the sit down lunch break. I feel like people shut down after sitting for that time. The 1 guy who cut with me this year we had a place we would stop at each day and grab something quick eat on the way to the next lawn. He didnt mind it and neither do i. Next year when their own there own im gonna try and meet up with them as much as possible for lunch. Most days we could go somewere like wawa have cold drinks hot food and was more than just a sandwich that sat in a cooler all day. We could be in and out in 10 minutes but between driving to and from and being inside it took right around a half hour
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a fairly small operation but I rovide a cooler with ice and bottled water. My worker gets a paid lunch and we go to a sit down restraunt. I like to provide a place to wash up go to the john and sit in the A/C for lunch. I really hate the idea that he has put in a hard day of work and doesn't have these simple things. My guy works hard, does quality work and shows up on time so I really don't want to replace him.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a setup on my mower where I have a medium sized kettle attached next to the engine and it takes until about 11:30 to where the water gets hot enough to cook. Then I throw in 4 packets of ramen noodle soup (chicken flavored). 12:30 the soup is ready to eat. Since I buy the ramen noodle I deduct $1.12 a day per employee (3 employees but they get 1 1/4 servings). Seems to have worked out but I haven't heard from any of them since the end of the season....