Register free!

Old 08-10-2004, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer Injection Unit

I am in need of a good fertilizer injection unit that can work well with a drip system for flowerbeds.

Anyone every use / install one of these? Do you recommend a specific brand or unit?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Jim,

I think "The Fertigator system " may be solution you are looking for. The system has three parts a controller, an injector and the fertilizer. The controller reads the sprinkler system timer to determine what zone is on. Then the injector is instructed to deliver precise amounts of fertilizer to that zone. The fertilizer is drawn from its container which you can put anywhere for example in the valve box shed or garage

http://fertigator.com/
Old 08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Jim,

I think "The Fertigator system " may be solution you are looking for. The system has three parts a controller, an injector and the fertilizer. The controller reads the sprinkler system timer to determine what zone is on. Then the injector is instructed to deliver precise amounts of fertilizer to that zone. The fertilizer is drawn from its container which you can put anywhere for example in the valve box shed or garage

http://fertigator.com/
Old 08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll check it out. But from your description, it sounds much more than what I am looking for.

I saw one a while back at a local irrigation parts store that was real simple. It was made to be installed right on the line. You attached a pipe on the inlet, water mixed with fertilizer inside a canister, and then you continued your pipe at the outlet. Just lift the lid and add more fertilizer as needed.

The store doesn't sell that model anymore. But that's what I am looking for.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-15-2004, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jim,
maybe it was the EZ-Flo fertigation system you saw. http://www.ezfloinjection.com/ We are looking into marketing their product next season heavily.

Mike
Old 08-15-2004, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, you will find that fertigation systems of any type will mess up drip systems very fast. The water in the irrigation system will have to be as close to neutral as possible with as little total disolved solids as possible for fertigation to work with small diameter tubing.
The problem goes back to the exchange sites on the water and the fact that fertilizer doesn't disolve in water it becomes a colloid. With this occurring, the adhesion aspects of the water droplet are changed making the colloidal solution in effect "stick" to the small diameter tubing.
One possible aspect to pursue would be to lightly irrigate prior to and after the fertigation cycle to try and flush the micro tubing.
Good luck with it.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I installed the fertigator in my system last year and never hooked up the fert. this year. Does not work! I will be looking into another system next year. Either the ezflo or techturf.

Norm
Old 08-24-2004, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I installed an ez-flo system in my neighbor's system a couple of months ago.. very simple to install and its the bomb! Its hooked up both to his drips and lawns, set at the lowest setting and everything looks great. Remember to check local regs when you install it though, I had to install a pressure reducing backflow preventer ($160.00) above ground and visible. (California) The place you buy it from should be in the know about your regs..
Old 08-25-2004, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tubing

I agree with SWD.

From my experience with drip lines you will be getting Undissolved solids blocking your lines (like a salt buildup). I would use only straight water or Ph'd water and manually fertilize (not through the tubing). I know thats not what you want to hear but it will save you the heartache.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

EZ Flo

I know this is an older post but just curious as to how it is going with the EZ Flo? I just became a factory authorized installer and am already selling units to existing customers in the dead of winter. I think it is going to be a huge success! Wish it was spring so I could start digging holes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilohlandscaping View Post
I installed an ez-flo system in my neighbor's system a couple of months ago.. very simple to install and its the bomb! Its hooked up both to his drips and lawns, set at the lowest setting and everything looks great. Remember to check local regs when you install it though, I had to install a pressure reducing backflow preventer ($160.00) above ground and visible. (California) The place you buy it from should be in the know about your regs..