Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone with experience in Nashville, Franklin County?

Due to family issues, I'm evaluating turning my Virginia operation over to my operations manager and starting a much smaller business with an emphasis landscaping design & some residential mowing. Does anyone have any information on the market in Nashville and Franklin area? I just want to develop enough business to keep myself busy and support my SS retirement, etc. In Virginia a typical residential 1/4 acre lot is @ $50 a mow. We figure all of our work on 50-55 dollars an hour for labor and $70 a yard installed for mulch. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I moved from new York to nashville two years ago. Best move i could have made. The area is booming, tons of work. Cost of living is a fraction of ny. Though franklin is a rich area. You want to work in franklin but live on the outskirts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
I moved from new York to nashville two years ago. Best move i could have made. The area is booming, tons of work. Cost of living is a fraction of ny. Though franklin is a rich area. You want to work in franklin but live on the outskirts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a million for the info. Is my present price structure about right? How did you get started? What kind od advertising did you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Sponsor

Which ever advertising option you choose, check out A'Deas Printing for any of your printed needs. (www.adeasprinting.com) We have several specials right now from door hangers to direct mail. If you'd like any more information, or if you'd like to recieve a free sample packet just let me know, my name is Glenda and you can reach me at glenda@adeasprinting.com or by phone at 1-866-778-4254.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=guitarman2420;4621925]Due to family issues, I'm evaluating turning my Virginia operation over to my operations manager and starting a much smaller business with an emphasis landscaping design & some residential mowing. Does anyone have any information on the market in Nashville and Franklin area? I just want to develop enough business to keep myself busy and support my SS retirement, etc. In Virginia a typical residential 1/4 acre lot is @ $50 a mow. We figure all of our work on 50-55 dollars an hour for labor and $70 a yard installed for mulch. Any info would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hey man I grew up in Franklin started working on my own last year. I get less on the mowing but more on the mulch. Franklin is very competitive, I have most of my business in Franklin but I've been trying to focus more on west Nashville. I get paid for premium service in west Nashville. in my opinion I feel like a lot of neighborhoods in Franklin have been targeted by new landscapers hard and the people there think they can pay whatever they want and get away with whatever they want. What do you use for your design work? What is your current hourly charge per man hour?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Franklin and Franklin county are two very different places.

Franklin is in Williamson county, south of Nashville about 20 miles.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Franklin and Franklin county are two very different places.

Franklin is in Williamson county, south of Nashville about 20 miles.
Exactly. Franklin county is along the Alabama border. Very rural. City of franklin and Williamson county is a suburb of Nashville. Plenty of work there. Good market. As has been stated, live out on the outskirts. Maury and Marshall counties if you can. Even lower cost of living but still only maybe 20-25 minutes away from the nucleus of your customer base.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Corey, I live up here in Franklin in town. I see your trailer regularly. Heard Michael mention you on 99.7 the other day...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

My labor rate per employee is $50.00 and the base charge for landscaping design is $75 per hour. Typically the wife does a landscape design and the first $100 is charged no matter what. If the client chooses to use the service, the first $100 may be credited towards the overall project.

My typical landscaping/maintenance client in Va, is @ $300 per month for mowing, edging, fert/pest application, aeration/seeding and leaf removal, with mulch added as a separate charge. Our typical fee for mulch is $70 a cubic yard installed.

Last edited by guitarman2420; 12-29-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Need for more info