Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way it comes is with a 6 speed automatic with two overdrives, the rear gears are 7.17.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford claims it possible to be within 10 % mpg of the diesel ??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyA7rfdy7_E
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read the same thing, if it does great if not its not a big deal. I just want to know how we'll it tows or hauls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what have you found out ? What is the price difference on the chassis between a 550 and 650. Did you find any mpg numbers other than the Ford video ?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Last Thursday I went to look at new ones, I can get a f650 or a derated 750 cab and chassis for $45,000 and $9000 more for the dump body (installed). I'm not sure of the price difference over the 550 I didn't even ask, I have a 550 now and it is not big enough to haul the mini excavator. As far as gas mileage I'm not sure, everything I read says its close to the diesel but that's not a deciding factor for me. The same dealer wanted $13,000 more for the diesel. I am leaning towards buying the f650 but I am going to look at a used 6500 on Wednesday that only has 15,000 miles and it is much cheaper. I will keep you guys posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you drive a 650 with the v 10 ? Sure it would be hard to tell without a load or even body for that matter, just curious how it drove . Sounds like a 10 k differance in chassis price over a gas 550
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seemed to have plenty of power but its hard to tell without the body on it. They will have a body on them next week so I can drive it again to get a better idea how it handles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would bring a loaded trailer and hook it up to it and take it for a test drive. Hopefully you have a cool dealer. I know ours lets us do whatever we want with in reason. They may like to know themselves how it will do . Nothing like real life experience.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Cummins or Cat. I thought V10 was in a F550 or smaller, maybe even F450. Buy not the F650. I maybe wrong.
Cat did not want to deal with DPF issues so they got out of the OTR business several years back. Eventually DPF issues will come to off road equipment as well and Cat will have no choice.

At 15K per year I would say the gas motor is going to eat you alive. Ford only speculated about the 10% number and that is likely an unloaded speculation. We all know when you load down a gasser the MPG gap between it and an oil burner gets much, much larger. This is due to the fact the 6.7 makes max torque at about 1600 rpms and the gasser will likely be around 3000 rpms.

I think you will see Fords gasser experiment will be short lived. As the economy improves the price of gas will go up and people will not touch a medium duty gasser. GM tried this experiment with the 496 V-8 and it failed. As the economy improves business's will also worry less about surviving the short term and will be thinking more about sound long term investments like a Diesel with lower operating costs.

The resale value of a gasser will also be crap where the Diesel with give you back a chunk of the initial investment at resale. At 100K I bet you will recoup most of the investment and be ahead of the game if you sold your truck. If your allowed to do DPF deletes in your area you can save even more money. You do not need to rack up 200K miles or even close to justify the cost of a Cummins. For Ford guys who canít stand the medium duty rated Cummins 6.7 being Fords engine of choice over Fordís own 6.7 donít expect that to change any time soon.

Here's a link to some 6.7 F450 & F550 failures.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know much about the dpf deletes but I will research it some more. I have not had great luck with diesel trucks even when bought new, especially fords! But I know the cummins is a great engine. I honestly don't think 15k miles is very much for a commercial vehicle, some of the other trucks we have average 35-40k miles and they are gas. If I buy this truck it will be fords last chance to gain me back as a customer, I had a 6.0 lol
Posted via Mobile Device