Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
I don't know much about the dpf deletes but I will research it some more. I have not had great luck with diesel trucks even when bought new, especially fords! But I know the cummins is a great engine. I honestly don't think 15k miles is very much for a commercial vehicle, some of the other trucks we have average 35-40k miles and they are gas. If I buy this truck it will be fords last chance to gain me back as a customer, I had a 6.0 lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Fords 6.0 and to a lesser extent the 6.4 made a lot of die hard blue oval guys into Cummins or Dmax owners. The really die hard Ford guys with lots of cash even paid places like Destroked to repower their Fords with Cummins power.

The biggest thing you need to think about is the cost per mile to operate, the total number of miles the vehicle will have when sold, and the resale value. Don't let the short term saving cost you dearly in the long run. The day that gasser rolls off the Ford lot it's going to be worth $10,000 less.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When you get into the 650 and 750 series that is a whole different league of truck. The v10 is a great engine. I have drove one in a F550 and it flies down the road

Cummins and Cat where options in the bigger trucks for many years. Is it worth the extra 5 to 10 K for a diesel? Yes, if you're logging many miles or need the torque. If you are hauling equipment and materials into a site and parking it, then yes, I'd look at gas. I'd even consider a gas converted to propane like a Schwans truck. With a V10 You will have to get the RPMs run up to get the power and torque.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not concerned with the resale value nearly as much as I'm worried about the diesel being broke down. I plan to keep the truck for 10 years so resale is not a factor. My 550 has a v-10 and it sucks gas but it has never broke down and that is what's important to me, (my chevy 8.1 has never broke down either)I just hope to hear from a 650 v10 owner so I can hear how it does pulling equipment and hauling stone. If it can't handle the work then I will probably look at International.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://m.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pi...est/index.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

for what your looking for I think you will be fine with a gas engine. I would suggest looking at more used trucks. The used 6500 series trucks are a dime a dozen and very inexpensive to own. The industrial gas engines can handle higher milage it seems than personal vehicles. I have seen many for well under $15,000. the savings can pay for a lot of repairs and gas. If it doesn't work out for you then your not out much money either.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than a DT 466 I wouldnt touch an international. look at the great motors they built for Ford including the legendary 6.0 and 6.4
Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't ever buy an international without the dt466. Most internationals around here have them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantscape Solutions
If your allowed to do DPF deletes in your area you can save even more money.
That's a good one. You're not "allowed" to do DPF deletes anywhere. It's against federal law to tamper with or remove emission equipment on any vehicle, anywhere. If you are in an area where they don't do emission testing you can probably get away with it-for now, that is if you don't mind giving up your factory warranty. Hopefully in a few years you will be able to buy a diesel truck again that you don't have to fiddle around with to make it get good mpg and reliability.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
That's a good one. You're not "allowed" to do DPF deletes anywhere. It's against federal law to tamper with or remove emission equipment on any vehicle, anywhere. If you are in an area where they don't do emission testing you can probably get away with it-for now, that is if you don't mind giving up your factory warranty. Hopefully in a few years you will be able to buy a diesel truck again that you don't have to fiddle around with to make it get good mpg and reliability.
There is an entire industry that caters to the software and hardware required to do DPF deletes. My 09' is deleted mostly just to wring out an extra 2 mpg's. Plus you do not get oil dilution issues that require oil changes every 3-5K miles. If your deleted you can do 10-15K oil changes by using more expensive synthetic oil.

There are lot of hot shotters out there with 300-400K on DPF trucks from 2007.5 and later. Reliability has never been much of an issue with the Dmax and Cummins engines. The blue oval stamped international engines are what has hurt the reputation of Diesel engines the most.

Some of us Diesel guys just like to make our trucks better or have a desire for more power. With gas engines it cost a fortune to get more power out of them but with Diesels it's so cheap it can be hard to avoid the temptation.

If you own a Ford 6.0, 6.4, or even a 6.7 if it's in a F450-F550 you'd better not delete since the warranty could be worth well over $10K. If you have a Cummins or even Dmax the chances of needing any expensive warranty work is slim. If you delete early you will save as much as $3000+ by the time you hit 100K where the warranty would expire. Saving three G's makes deleting even easier.

I don't always come to a full stop at stop signs, I often exceed the speed limit by 5 mph, and I drive a DPF deleted vehicle. I have yet to lose sleep over this .
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From H&S Press Release:

November 13, 2012
Due to our dialogue with governmental agencies within the United States, H&S Performance, LLC has decided to voluntarily suspend production of all tuning devices and EGR/DPF modification kits, effective immediately...
http://www.hsperformance.com/press-release/

They won't be the only ones. The law makes it illegal for any DPF delete manufacture and sale.

Section 203 of the CLEAN AIR ACT:
(a) Enumerated prohibitions
The following acts and the causing thereof are prohibited—...
(3)
(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use;...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/7522

Last edited by dbear; 01-02-2013 at 09:50 AM.