The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro commercial 21" 22298

Hi guys I have a toro commercial 21" model number 22298 with the Kawasaki 180fj motor i have had it probably 3 months since new and it uses oil and smokes up like this every morning when applying choke and randomly through out the day...i have taken it back for warranty but i will tell u the outcome later because im still fighting with them...
just wanted to get your opinions.thanks
Stephen Downunder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmssbOgrIp8

Last edited by pcbang; 01-05-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawa FJ-180V

This is the cheap version, and it will serve you well until... fight to get it right with the warranty, but it takes a dealer who will stand behind what they sold you. I have a whole shop full of 'em with every problem you can imagine. When they quit I try to get the guys to put the Honda on but they don't wanna go the extra $200 difference, their choice, but ya get what ya pay for... & poor men pay twice, I love Kawa, they keep me employed!! No comparison between them & the Honda. Keep fighting, make them make it right, Good Luck
Old 01-08-2016, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well how much oil is it actually using? Looks like a little puddling when sitting. Really not much to be concerned about. Is it overfilled? Using SAE 30? Excessive angles and tipping can cause momentary
smoking. And what are you fighting them about? Is the plug wet with oil? Air cooled engine will use oil. All depends on varying factors. Is the engine even broken in yet? One word of advice, beware of individual's personal opinions. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Sort of like.... what's better?, a Chevrolet or Ford. (Maybe a bad example for one that's down under lol). I my experience, KMC is a much better company to deal with. I'm at a dealer so I speak from actual experience. I hear it all day.....Scags is the best, except when compared to a Toro, but ExMark is better than both unless it has a Kohler, but a Kawasaki is better but not as good as a Vanguard. Then there are Bobcats with Generacs. Only you can determine what you PREFER. Never ever let someone tell you what you like. There is no best. But that just my opinion LOL
Old 01-09-2016, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand why they have like 10 different versions of these 21'' mowers. How much oil is it burning? The FJ180V is a great engine. I had to add oil like every 5 hours of use when new iirc. Then I switched to amsoil and didn't have to add anything until 50 hours into the oil change.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Multi viscosity. Full syn ?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The FJ180V is a lemon.

Your problem is actually a design feature of this engine. On top of the crankcase there's a little breather valve that routes excess crank gases to the intake. Unlike other engines the path after this valve is all downhill. Each time you turn the mower off, oil mist starts weeping from the tube into the carburetor.

The FJ also likes blowing head gaskets and piston rings, but at 3 months it's a bit early for that.

What you can try:
a) stay away from multigrade and switch to SAE30 oil
b) don't overfill the oil, remember the dipstick should not be screwed down when checking
c) don't overheat the engine, check that the case gasket hasn't leaked oil over the cooling fins.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
The FJ180V is a lemon.

Your problem is actually a design feature of this engine. On top of the crankcase there's a little breather valve that routes excess crank gases to the intake. Unlike other engines the path after this valve is all downhill. Each time you turn the mower off, oil mist starts weeping from the tube into the carburetor.

The FJ also likes blowing head gaskets and piston rings, but at 3 months it's a bit early for that.

What you can try:
a) stay away from multigrade and switch to SAE30 oil
b) don't overfill the oil, remember the dipstick should not be screwed down when checking
c) don't overheat the engine, check that the case gasket hasn't leaked oil over the cooling fins.
The older models blew head gaskets, but that was back in 2003. Mine has 1300hrs on it and the only thing I had to do with it was replace the upper crankcase gasket at 1000hrs. They've now redesigned the cover to give more support. It was a 10 dollar gasket and took an hour to take apart.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Multi viscosity. Full syn ?
It's 30 weight small engine oil from amsoil. It says 10w30/30 but it's actually just a straight weight. Since it's synthetic it passes the cold flow test to justify it as 10w30 too.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to Mow View Post
The older models blew head gaskets, but that was back in 2003. Mine has 1300hrs on it and the only thing I had to do with it was replace the upper crankcase gasket at 1000hrs. They've now redesigned the cover to give more support. It was a 10 dollar gasket and took an hour to take apart.
It doesn't change my opinion on the FJ.

I had/have three old ones and one new one (KAI) and none of them compare to a Honda GXV.

I noticed they fixed a few things with the KAI: recoil, case gasket, head gasket, fuel vent, oil filter access and what not, but a lot of stuff is still lacking.

Take the air filter for example: the old design was horrible and leaked dirt, the new design is better but the filter still feels cheap, has to be backed up with a piece of cardboard to make it seal and the intake o-ring still leaks a bit.

The oil drain plug is still plastic with the fuel line still being in the way. The breather essentially hasn't been changed, neither has the plastic oil filter holder, though you can at least put a chain whip on it now.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
It doesn't change my opinion on the FJ.

I had/have three old ones and one new one (KAI) and none of them compare to a Honda GXV.

I noticed they fixed a few things with the KAI: recoil, case gasket, head gasket, fuel vent, oil filter access and what not, but a lot of stuff is still lacking.

Take the air filter for example: the old design was horrible and leaked dirt, the new design is better but the filter still feels cheap, has to be backed up with a piece of cardboard to make it seal and the intake o-ring still leaks a bit.

The oil drain plug is still plastic with the fuel line still being in the way. The breather essentially hasn't been changed, neither has the plastic oil filter holder, though you can at least put a chain whip on it now.
People say bad things about Honda too. Like there carburetors supposedly. My brand new Honda generator leaked fuel out of the carb and had to take it apart and unstick the float.