Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

What Mower Should I Look At(New Guy)

Hi, I'm just starting out 2014 already got a work truck, Fixing To Get A 6x12 Trailer, and have most the handhelds I'll Need That being said

I have about 3,000$ set aside for a mower! been shopping around craigslist haven't really came across anything yet but still looking that being said I was wondering if that is enough money to start out with or should I look towards a loan and if anyone could give me a inside on what a good mower would be to get started with til I get more jobs and better equipment Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all, you got to make sure this is what you want to do. Starting a business from the ground up is very hard work. You must have a business plan written down with goals. Next, don't worry about what your competitors are doing and stay away from NEGATIVE people. Then go out and handle it!!! I would suggest buying two push mowers ( push and self propelled models) and a homeowner style riding mower ($3000 budget). You should be able to get those for under $2500. With the rest of the money I would buy some t-shirts with your company name on it and decal my truck and put a LARGE COMPANY SIGN ON THE BACK OF THE TAILGATE. You can do it. It depends on how much you want it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

try to get a decent 48 to 60 " hydro commercial mower eather a walk behind , rider , stander what ever works for you and your environment , then get a push mower, used is the only option at this price point , check out snapper pro , pretty well priced , but brand kinda depends on area , make shure you have a good dealer that would be my recommendation if you get a larger budget and buy new , and yea the signs and t -shirts will be a must. You can also do as listed above start with homeowner equipment but using it full time it will need to be replaced quickly with commercial stuff if you run full time. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Great Info thanks so much!! I already ordered truck decals and been working on shirts does anyone have a site they would recommend for business cards/flyers/signs?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What Mower Should I Look At(New Guy)

I have a John Deere 757 60" mower for sale. It was the mower that got me started two years ago. Now in august I bought my new z920m. It has 1250 hours and I'm asking $2900 if interested.
Echo Power Equip.

Working Hard.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamosMidTn View Post
Great Info thanks so much!! I already ordered truck decals and been working on shirts does anyone have a site they would recommend for business cards/flyers/signs?
www.vistaprint.com
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Sponsor

Hi RamosMidTn... I noticed that you were asking for recommendations for printing of your advertising. You may have seen our company (Adeas Printing, home of the Band-It & Stick-It products) mentioned in the forums as we have several Lawnsite customers. We provide print and design services for signs, door hangers, post cards, business cards, etc. Our Band-it and Stick-It products are a great enhancement that keep your ads where they belong, in front of the customer, and not in a drawer or blowing around in the yard. Check us out at www.adeasprinting.com, and right now you can get 1000 door hangers using our online design tool for only $79!
Contact or live chat with me anytime!
Glenda - Adeas Printing 866-778-4254 ext 212 * glenda@adeasprinting.com
Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamosMidTn View Post
Hi, I'm just starting out 2014 already got a work truck, Fixing To Get A 6x12 Trailer, and have most the handhelds I'll Need That being said

I have about 3,000$ set aside for a mower! been shopping around craigslist haven't really came across anything yet but still looking that being said I was wondering if that is enough money to start out with or should I look towards a loan and if anyone could give me a inside on what a good mower would be to get started with til I get more jobs and better equipment Thanks
You can get a good/great COMMERCIAL used hydro walk behind for around $2500(a belt drive for less)that will make you money immediately. Get a velke and you can be very productive. A new Snapper Pro(mentioned above) is a great machine and a 36" can be bought for $4000 and possibly less depending on location and time of year. It will serve your purpose and be an awesome backup if/when you decide to bigger. You never know when a machine will go down. Don't buy any HOMEOWNER/RESIDENTIAL rider. It will not last and will be a disposable investment in a short time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 12-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I would pay for your trailer and hand tools in cash, and finance what you have to on the mower. I'm not a big fan of debt but I'm even less of a fan of buying homeowner crap. If you can't buy commercial mowing equipment you shouldn't be in the commercial mowing business. DO NOT skimp on equipment. You don't have to buy a $12,000 mower but I would buy a new, commercial mower. I have a Gravely Proturn 148 that I can't say enough good things about and it set me back about $8,000 after tax. I would also look into a good 48 stander if you think you would prefer that route. A 21 trim mower is a must too for doing smaller backyards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What size lawns are you targeting OP?
If residential lawns, get yourself a good low hour hydro WB, 36-48". You might be able to nab for around $4k.
If you have to stay under 3K, perhaps look at a newer belt drive machine.
A entry level commercial mower is going to run too much money I'm afraid, for your budget.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13