Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Still battery power tools

Stihl battery power tools any good? Looking for my wife to use on our own yard, she needs something light and I want something with a good review, any ideas.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We bought one of the blowers a year or so ago and enjoyed very much using it around our office and retail area. I'd recommend it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I've tried all of them out and they're surprisingly pretty good. I wasn't expecting much out of battery powered but was surprised.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a dewalt string trimmer at lowes the other day. Don't know if they make blowers, etc.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my 30th year as an outdoor power equipment dealer and I always take the wait and see approach towards new products.

After selling dozens of battery powered Stihl products and never having a problem with any of them or the batteries it looks like Stihl has a real winner.

Oldtimer
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

DEWALT has a 40V blower that retails for half of what the STIHL retails for (I think they run for $600). It's 4.9 of 5 stars on Lowes.com.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_623435-70-DC...Ntt=dewalt+40v

They have a whole lineup of lawn tools now including 40V which they claim "Gas performance" and 20V which integrates with all of their drills. Looks like you should go 40V if your wife wants power and 20V if your wife wants lighter weight (or if you have 20V batteries).
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are all of the tools:
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categories/outdoorpe.aspx
Old 05-28-2015, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Ideas?..

Not really, but there's other advantages to Li-Ion powered tools, regardless of the make.

You'll never have it not start.

You'll never worry about Ethanol in the fuel.

You'll never have to winterize it.

Fewer parts to break.

If the battery lasts 500 charges, and it runs 20 minutes on a charge, that's a run time of 166 hours. How much fuel would a gas powered one burn in that time? How much hydro would it take for 500 charges? A significant impact on total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the tool.

If the battery makes ( and it's possible ) 1000 cycles, the trimmer would be pretty close to free, compared to a gas powered one. A $350.00 trimmer would, not including string, would have cost a little more than a buck an hour.

6 X 12 enclosed.
Pulled by matching black WRX wagon
Echo cs 400 chainsaw
Echo cs 590 chainsaw
Poulan Pro 42 cc chainsaw. Never been used. ( Hope to keep it that way)
Ryobi pole saw .. Don't laugh, it was on clearance.
2014 John Deere JD160
Echo PAS system Trimmer, Blower, Power Sweeper, cultivator.
Shindaiwa 802 Backpack blower
Echo PB620 Backpack blower ( just for guests )
Lawnboy 2 stroke 21 inch.
Assorted implements of Mayhem.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl's statements about their batteries.

The 36-volt AP 180 Lithium-Ion battery is designed for long running times with quick recharges and operates at full speed until depleted, so there is no gradual drop in power during use. Batteries can be charged hundreds of times without any noticeable loss in capacity, and special battery electronics constantly monitor the battery to ensure optimal operation and a long service life.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Yup.. The electronics are there to protect the battery from over discharge. Flatten it once and it's done. They run from 3.2 to 4.2 volts per cell ( empty cut off voltage to full voltage ). First time I ever used a power tool with a lithium power source, it was a borrowed hammer drill, and I was going through well over a foot of house foundation with it. The only thing the owner told me was not to over heat it .. "If you can keep your hand on it, it's good to go". I was punching through the foundation, not worrying about the state of charge, because there was no sign of the power dropping off, when the drill just stopped. I thought I was going to be buying my buddy a new one.. Nope, just put it in the charger, and once it cooled off for a couple of minutes, it started charging again, and was fine,

But the sudden stop when the low voltage protection kicked in was quite the surprise the first time. But there was virtually no reduction in power until the low voltage protection kicked in.. Lithium battery technology is light years ahead of the old NiMhi or Ni-cad stuff.

I've been doing a lot more tree work lately, mainly in Ash trees, due to an infestation of Asian beetles killing them all. My climber has been using an Echo cs-355T, but doesn't like "drop starting" chainsaws, or having a lot of weight when he's free climbing. I've been seriously considering getting a Stihl Li-ion electric MSA 160 or MSA 200. From what I've seen for reviews, ( 5 star), it'd be perfect for that application.

6 X 12 enclosed.
Pulled by matching black WRX wagon
Echo cs 400 chainsaw
Echo cs 590 chainsaw
Poulan Pro 42 cc chainsaw. Never been used. ( Hope to keep it that way)
Ryobi pole saw .. Don't laugh, it was on clearance.
2014 John Deere JD160
Echo PAS system Trimmer, Blower, Power Sweeper, cultivator.
Shindaiwa 802 Backpack blower
Echo PB620 Backpack blower ( just for guests )
Lawnboy 2 stroke 21 inch.
Assorted implements of Mayhem.