Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

❗❗ Fuel/ Carb Issue ( Briggs 10.5 hp)

Ok guys, so Im tryin to be independent of repair shops and do all work myself. However, my abilities and searching have hit a wall. I have a 10.5hp Briggs and Stratton and a couple weeks ago, the motor wasnt starting up first pull, so i cleaned the carb (took it all the way apart). I did not replace any gaskets/seals... That could be my issue... Anyway, once cleaned, it started first pull! Good job! However, after stopping the engine, it flooded. I did something wrong, so after i quit mowing, i always had to clamp the fuel line before running it again. So having extra time today, i decided to fix it and went about rebuilding it, hoping this would fix it. Did this several times thinking i had missed something the time before- did nothing except make the mower worse. It would run for several seconds, then die. If i let it sit longer with the fuel line connect, it seemed to run longer (fuel supply issue?) - my thoughts. So i went to the store, replaced spark plugs, changed oil why not, fuel filter, and got some carb cleaner. Cleaned it in every way possible. Now, its even harder to start, and runs for less time.

Im out of ideas. I thought a thorough clean would do it. So im left with poor gaskets/ring/seals whatever you wanna call em; or my linkage and carb tuning is off or electrical is screwed somehow. Any help is appreciated because i feel this should be a simple fix since it was running right before i messed with it (despite the flooding) and im probably missing something easy.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without model and type numbers posted...... I'm gonna guess this is your carb.....http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...o_lmt_carb.asp

Get a rebuild kit and follow instructions......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Its a Craftsman 33in mower. Model #215802

On Sears parts store they have a "overhaul" kit. Part number BS-796184, would this do the trick you guys think?

Also, I kinda searched but do you guys know where I can find an illustrated guide or manual for the intallation of this kit, like the one RestroRob posted before? There are many other types of carb repair/cleaning guides on the same site, but I dont know which one (type) the one I have is.

Last edited by 1070ryan; 08-05-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sooo...... I guessed wrong...... http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...nikki_carb.asp

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!