Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone use a mentor?

Just out of curiosity, have any owners ever sought out a mentor?

I am gonna have my second round at this, now living in Houston. First stab was in Detroit during the Depression and rustled up 25 accounts in one county through word of mouth and newspaper ads. I really ended up leaving before it ever had a chance.

In Houston, I have to say, I am optimistic and have done a fair amount of market research.

I have more of a handyman business as opposed to being a lawn guy, however, I expect the lawns to get really overwhelming pretty quick. I am hoping to hire a part timer early this year and hopefully a crew the following year.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I was wondering if anyone ever looked for a mentor, or was a mentor.
I got into the lawn business by cutting my dads grass on his last couple years of retirement. Before I know it, in a year and a half I had 8 accounts in the neighborhood and it wasnt beer money anymore.

I am interested in looking into a mentor, because I do and will tend to run myself a bit ragged when things get hot and heavy. I would like to run it like a business as opposed to doing this for 5 years and potentially hating myself down the road.

Im not 40 yet but Im not a spring chiken either.
Hopefully this post makes sense, I rambled a bit.

Chris
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have helped to mentor a friend in Michican and one in New Orleans.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

deffinately! Most of the lco's in my area are all on great terms with each other. Sometimes even grab lunch together, but getting back to subject, we are always open to questions and also try to give good advise that some have experienced. Since we respect each other and their business there is no hassle or work stealing out of spite. I have one in particular i actually worked for before i started on my own. He's always been real helpful even after i left to start. Even lets me borrow equipment that i might need for one job but not enough work to purchase. But goodluck with the biz
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer your question yes! Absolutely! I have a mentor for the business, and merely knowing him has put me ahead in this business at least 3-5 years. I cannot overstate the significance of a mentor...problem is not everyone is willing to help someone else out.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't said I had a full on mentor but I learned almost everything I know from my buddies in the Biz and this here website

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know the SBA has retired business owners who volunteer their time to help out current business owners. I would look for someone in finance.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have heard that score is great Service Corps of Retired Executives.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've learned a lot through networking with a couple of friends that I have met on this site. I've found for the most part lawn business owners as a group enjoy visiting with each other, sometimes to a fault.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Seeking advice from someone who has "been there done that" is never a bad thing. Obviously with this site and any other source of advice or guidance, you have to take things for what they are.

My first mentor had never worked in the green industry and did not know much about the industry at all. But he knew business and he was a wealth of information.

You have to find that fine line between picking someone's brain when they are willing to allow you to do so and being a royal pain in the rear asking them things constantly to the point where they regret helping you in the first place.

I wanted LawnSite to be a place where anyone in the industry could come together, regardless of experience or knowledge, and share with others in a wide-open, friendly format. So far so good.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Cuts PLS View Post
I have helped to mentor a friend in Michican and one in New Orleans.
That's because you're business smart..

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10