Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn for Christmas Tree Farm

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt, and I have a somewhat unique mowing application...mowing between rows of Christmas trees. I have a small 4-5 acre tree farm, and I'm looking to get a 60" zero turn mower to decrease the time I spend mowing. I currently have a 48" traditional rider, and I have to take two passes between rows. My local dealer sells Bad Boy and Ferris. They have a great reputation, so I'm going with one of these two brands. I'm looking at a Ferris IS 1500Z and a Bad Boy CZT Elite with the suspension seat. They both have the same Kawasaki engine and Hydro-Gear drive system. I took both for a test drive today, and I was equally impressed with both. If anyone has any advice or experience with these mowers, I would appreciate an input. The Ferris appears to have a better warranty (haven't read the fine print), but the extra moving parts with the suspension make me concerned there will be more maintenance expenses down the road. Also, the Bad Boy is narrower (width measured from the outside of the rear wheels). This is important when mowing between more mature trees.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love the new elite model czt. We had 2 prototypes last year we helped them put them to the test! Awesome mower very smooth. Grammer seat is a must have to be in same caliber ride as the 1500american though...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Either mower will last you forever. They're designed to mow ten times that amount...every day of the week! Either one will outlive their warranty to where it's a non issue.

I'd get the one you liked the best. Because you're going to live with it a long long time. Those little quirks you noticed (like maybe one deck was heavy to lift) will be a constant source of irritation over the years. Get what you liked 'cause you have the practical portion covered.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not to dump on the choices, but I would think an outfront Z like a grasshopper or walker MBK would be better for reaching under the trees and trimming close with fewer passes....my neighbor has a Z for his trees and they are all tiny still, but the machine really doesnt fit well and won't fit at all when they mature....
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My mower choice would be a Walker with a 62" S/D deck . The deck has good over hang for trimming. I have a customer with 1.5 acre bluberry patch that I mow with mine. For X-mas trees I would make a frame on the deck to lift the branches up over the deck as not to damage the ends as you mow under them.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go Ferris my dealer took me to Bad Boy factory two weeks ago. I ran a Outlaw XP and was really wanting to go with a new BB to save money but the BB felt cheaper when running it and I couldn't see the trimming edge of the deck and the mower was to long for my comfort. I'm going with another 3100 ferris. Two years ago I ran a 1500 ferris and realy liked it and didn't have any problems sold it and got a 2000 series to replace it.... The moving parts of the suspension want give you any problems and the ICD deck is proven.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for all the comments and advice. I'm going to go back to the dealer and take another good hard look at both and go with my gut. Based on the feedback, I really don't think I can go wrong.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pull up some reviews on BB
Posted via Mobile Device