search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member
Deere 329 D Starting problem

I have a Deere 329D with 650hrs on it I beleive it is a 12model that I bought used and it is hard to start (cranks over alot) when its cold most of the time sometimes it starts right up but I would say 85% its hard start and when it gets warm it has to be eithered! here is a list of what we have tried per our JD dealer
New filters
Blew all the lines out to make sure it was clear of debris
Cleaned out the fuel tank
Check the fuel pick up lines and the return lines for holes or cracks even switched these to make sure.
replaced the transfer pump that runs off the cam
temp bypass the filter and fuel water seperator
checked the check valve (fixing to replace)
Unplugged the fuel pressure sensor
Put a solid hose into a clean 5 gal bucket of fuel

Any Ideas?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member
Has your dealer done a compression test? Some of the D models had a pip on the air cleaner assembly where they were allowing dust to bypass the filter and get into the engine. If caught in time no harm was done. If not, some cylinder scoring and compression loss can occur. Not saying that is what it is, but having worked at a dealer for several years with the D and E models, I have seen it happen.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic
Try going through the glow plug procedure, some times the computers are stupid and don't read the IAT probes right.
The amount of energy necessary to refute bullsh*t is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it
Old 06-02-2015, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member
our dealer is hour and half away we have just talked over the phone and he has told us stuff to do to try. if it was messed up from the dust bypassing and cylinders was messed up wouldnt it be an all the time thing? Im not sure? We are now thinking it is something electrical or a sensor we just dont know what! I just thought maybe someone may have ran across this problem before with the deeres, Our dealer says they havent seen this problem before
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member
Have you put a gauge on the supply line to confirm you're getting good pressure? You need to check for codes, if you have any electrical issues there "should" be a code that will give you a lead. It's starting sound like your IP is on the way out though.
Life summed up by refrigerator magnets:
Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
We have one, ours is slow starting but not hard. We did have an extremely slow start for awhile, replaced starters, did a huge difference. I have not heard of a Dustin problem on these machines, we put 2k hrs on it. Getting ready to trade for an e model. All in all, a good powerful machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
This may sound crazy, if the AUX control is a foot pedal, check to make sure that it is not engaged whatsoever. i had an issue with mine and it turned out that the lock was off and when the guys would get out it would jockey the pedal ever so slightly that would engage the AUX circut and that would in-turn cause enough pressure to build up that it would cause starting problems.

I was thinking fuel bla bla bla.. and my local deere mechanic told me to check the AUX pedal. boom problem solved.

I have a CT322 2007
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.