Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Tires or tracks on skid steer

I own a tracked open station skid steer. I have had it about three years. When I bought it we were doing a lot of work on ranches and I needed tracks to get through the rough terrain and not get stuck in the soft areas. It worked great and no complaints other than being really expensive to maintain.

I no longer do that type of work and am going to buy a new(er) skid steer with a cab. Anticipated uses are leveling, grading, spreading gravel, etc. Where I live now it is basically all farm land with no rocks for 100 miles and flat as a pancake. We do a lot of gravel driveways, filling in low spots, dig post holes, prep sites for concrete pours, shredding etc.

I really see no reason why a wheeled machine wouldn't work and they are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain. The truth is though I have never even sat in a wheeled machine but it seems to be what most guys use around here. Will I regret saving the money and not getting tracks?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tracks are definitely better for grading, at least down here in soft sand. I'm not sure how soft it is up there but sugar sand or mud don't really make for an easy grade job. Wheeled machines are good and a lot cheaper to buy and maintain. I've run both over the years, a wheeled machine is a lot easier on the back but tracks really are the way to go unless you run a lot on roads and have guys running it that like to skid around and wear down the tracks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2015, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My skid is tire and I have Rubber tracks for it Its 7600lb+ and it sucks in soft soil with out the tracks I tried to grade a lawn with it this spring before I put tracks on and it look like I never graded a lawn before.

Like today I was at the farm to dig up landscape Rocks I seen one in are timber and the timber soil was soft wet Rock guessing 1800-2000lbs No way a skid with tires would hauled it out at one spot I didn't know if I was going haul it out

I have a smaller skid now its a Tires but its only 2500lb skid It can do a lot but nothing like my bigger skid can I use it for the final grade on new lawns or Doing landscape installs
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the last 2 we've had have both been tracked I do however lust after the 4-wheel steer bobcat. just seems like it would be a great option for low impact projects and still have the option to be in skid mode.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most economical choice would be rubber tire with steel over the tire tracks. Lots of guys do it, but more every year are buying into the idea they need ctl or mtl. If you are on soft yards most of the time and want to avoid rutting, then the dedicated track machine would work best. Otherwise, you'll have all the traction you'll need with OTT tracks on a rubber tire machine.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Track machines are nicer to grade with. We are trying this on our new unit, hopefully have the best of most worlds. We have just over 40 hrs on these tracks and so far so good. No flats but still have rubber pads on the tracks so we can run on concrete or asphalt.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marek - who makes the tracks?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Rent a wheeled machine similar in size and capacity to the one you fancy purchasing. After a few days of different terrain and weather conditions and then you'll know if tires can work out for you. The rental fees are an investment not an expense to give guidance to you spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Over here I use wheeled machines full time. We joke guys with tracks have to work muddy conditions to pay for the tracks. Lol.

Generally wheeled units are terrible in mud & wet conditions. Pee on your tires and you are stuck.

On a side note, considering many in your area are using wheeled units, having a track unit may make you stand out a bit and could be a selling point as to why you and not them. Even if wheeled unit would work fine... May e the marketing is worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by F4rm3rj03; 05-26-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These are MClarens

http://mclarenusa.com/over-the-tire-...er-loader.html
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
most economical choice would be rubber tire with steel over the tire tracks. Lots of guys do it, but more every year are buying into the idea they need ctl or mtl. If you are on soft yards most of the time and want to avoid rutting, then the dedicated track machine would work best. Otherwise, you'll have all the traction you'll need with OTT tracks on a rubber tire machine.
Here comes mr. "people are buying ctl's cause they think they need them" lol