Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
The engineer said we should fill the gabion baskets by hand, but I do not see it possible to move 208 ton of a rock by hand.
I think you will find him right. And as i said the inspector will play a part as there may be an air space limitation per basket.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I think you will find him right. And as i said the inspector will play a part as there may be an air space limitation per basket.
Posted via Mobile Device
We plan on putting them in with the excavator and having someone in the basket move the rocks into place. I believe it's a monthlong project which is why I am estimating 20k+ in labor
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would throw a bucket or two of rock in the basket with the mini ex then sort them in by hand. Rinse and repeat. Definitely up the reward. The only thing worse than figuring your way through a new project is doing it for free or a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
We plan on putting them in with the excavator and having someone in the basket move the rocks into place. I believe it's a monthlong project which is why I am estimating 20k+ in labor
Damn great minds think alike
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Got a call from a engineer on a gabion wall project. I wanted to see if anyone has experience pricing these and offer advice.

I have to remove a 50ft long, 15ft tall cinderblock wall thats fell into the creek and haul it off, build a 51ft long, 6ft wide pad using compacted 57 gravel, install 51ft of gabion baskets, drive 51 peices of #7 rebar in the first row of baskets (17 baskets, 3 rebar each), tie all baskets together, install geotextile behind the baskets and backfill with 57 gravel.

I estimated 208 tons of gabion rock (4-6 inch), and 200 tons of 57 gravel for the base, and backfill.

After finished with that, cover the top of the baskets with topsoil, grade and grass.

What would you charge laborwise? I have a number in my head but want to see what everyone thinks. I will have 3-4 helpers.
How deep are the gabions 6 feet? are they stair stepped up to 15 feet high?

Some of that geotextile is expensive but will hold a lot of earth if you anchor it as I mentioned. I know it is more than the engineer asked for but I would not want a claim on my insurance.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
How deep are the gabions 6 feet? are they stair stepped?

Some of that geotextile is expensive but will hold a lot of earth if you anchor it as I mentioned. I know it is more than the engineer asked for but I would not want a claim on my insurance.
They don't call for the geotextile to be anchored. It just says to "wrap" the backfil in it which is placing it and then pouring the backfil in and compacting it.

The baskets are 3ft deep.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They don't call for the geotextile to be anchored. It just says to "wrap" the backfil in it which is placing it and then pouring the backfil in and compacting it.

The baskets are 3ft deep.
I understand, just saying it would be great insurance that the gabion wall stays.

Jim mentioned inspection. I am sure the engineer will be there. Are there places where work stops for inspection? If so what window does he have to come out?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I understand, just saying it would be great insurance that the gabion wall stays.

Jim mentioned inspection. I am sure the engineer will be there. Are there places where work stops for inspection? If so what window does he have to come out?
The engineer mentioned in his plans that we should have their company there to monitor wall placement. They are calling for grout to fill the open voids in the gabion rock, but all I can see that doing is trapping water behind the wall.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

That is dependant upon the authorities, i assume that the RE will be on-site as well as fish and wildlife due to the creek.

I have been on many jobs where the inspectors and interested agency representives out number the working force. Normally work doesn't cease with an RE on-site.

All of the information you need should be in the bid package you should have received from the engineer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

all i got was a report lol
Posted via Mobile Device