Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One section of that hill seemed to weep a lot. We drove in some of those anchors with tubing on it to control the weep.

I wonder that cause the first failure, current from the stream washing out the base or weeping and force behind it.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have some experience doing gabion walls. I just bid on a gabion wall that was 20' high and 100' long. The bottom baskets were 9' for three courses and stepped back 1'-6" for the last 3 courses. The original concrete wall failed and had to be demoed. Behind the wall the soil had to be sloped at 1:1 slope and backfilled with #57 stone.

Gabions are very labor intensive. You need to assemble the baskets in the field and clamp the together. The face of the gabion stones should be hand stacked to give the face a clean look with little voids. Then the rest of the stones need to be moved around by hand to remove voids to minimize settling. Also, the baskets needed to be filled at 1/3 intervals and cross tied for reinforcing.

I think that the 304 will be a little small I would at least use a 312. You need reach to fill the baskets and you don't want to put the machine tracking back and forth right up against the back of the gabion wall. Plus, you need to excavate material from behind the existing block wall and load it out if you need to backfill with #57. Also, I figured in cutting in a bench behind the gabion wall to run the machine to fill the baskets and the site was very tight so, I figured using a loader to feed the excavator because I couldn't get the loads of stone close enough.

Without seeing the site and plans it's hard to know exactly what your up against but hopefully this information helps.

Last edited by earthmover; 12-30-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did alot of gabion last year on a erosion scar project i did for a developer. I hope your not charging just 20k for a month long job...plus 20 k for materials. These jobs can be very labour intensive , and working in tight access areas the right equipment can make or break the job. There are so many variables that can make a large impact on price. What is the distance from where you plan on stockpiling the material to where you are going to set up your mini to fill the baskets? What type of erosion control measures do you have to have in place? Are you going to need a filter bag for the water discharge from the pump?

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I did alot of gabion last year on a erosion scar project i did for a developer. I hope your not charging just 20k for a month long job...plus 20 k for materials. These jobs can be very labour intensive , and working in tight access areas the right equipment can make or break the job. There are so many variables that can make a large impact on price. What is the distance from where you plan on stockpiling the material to where you are going to set up your mini to fill the baskets? What type of erosion control measures do you have to have in place? Are you going to need a filter bag for the water discharge from the pump?
Materials come to $19,495 not including taxs and the rebar. I am trying to find a price on the rebar.

I am in the range of about $22,000-26,000 for labor. That includes installing the baskets, removal of the old wall, etc.

As far as distance for the material, it's very close access. 50 ft or so.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about removal of the old concrete? thats 2 20yd boxes you will fill with concrete. How are you going to get the concrete out to your loading area and the gabion in from there?

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What about removal of the old concrete? thats 2 20yd boxes you will fill with concrete. How are you going to get the concrete out to your loading area and the gabion in from there?
Our plan is to build us a road down into the creek (with a permit from DNR of course) and break up the concrete wall in sections (it's cinderblock wall built 30+ years ago) and lay it on the bank, and then probaly use to skid to move it out of the way so we can haul it off in our truck.

I will have 2 labor's putting the baskets together and then setting them into place with the excavator.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will a 4 tonne machine be enough to lift the baskets? I think a bigger excavator might be in order...

A.E.L

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Will a 4 tonne machine be enough to lift the baskets? I think a bigger excavator might be in order...
I've used it to lift them before. We will put them in place and then fill them. It calls for 3 #7 rebar in each bottom basket to be driven down into the ground 3 ft.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to take some photos and keep up to date as this project progresses.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will upload some pictures on photobucket tonight.