Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Just curious....but does it have to be a Gabion wall?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
Just curious....but does it have to be a Gabion wall?
That's what the engineer wants.

Keep in mind that the insurance company hired the engineer for consultation. It's a homeowner, not commercial property.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think that berming up the channel with dirt is going to work. The creek seems to have prettty good flow and would wash out the dirt quite easily , plus you will be introducing a large amount of sediment to the watercourse. Remember just because the engineer isnt watching the project doesnt mean the epa or some conservation authority cant show up on site and issue some fines or even shut the job down.

I have always used large rocks to narrow the channel down , and in some cases have used sand bags filled with clear pea stone.

I dont know about your state but here in Ontario if you dont take proper precautions ( siltation, erosion control , dewatering, measures) you can have your job shut down and fined as much as $2.5 million

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mabee try running the idea by the engineer of re-sloping the creek banks , and stabilizing them with rip rap and filter cloth.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I dont think that berming up the channel with dirt is going to work. The creek seems to have prettty good flow and would wash out the dirt quite easily , plus you will be introducing a large amount of sediment to the watercourse. Remember just because the engineer isnt watching the project doesnt mean the epa or some conservation authority cant show up on site and issue some fines or even shut the job down.

I have always used large rocks to narrow the channel down , and in some cases have used sand bags filled with clear pea stone.

I dont know about your state but here in Ontario if you dont take proper precautions ( siltation, erosion control , dewatering, measures) you can have your job shut down and fined as much as $2.5 million
It's not realy a issue here, however the only reason we'll be touching the creek water is to remove the old wall that fell into the creek. The gabion baskets are going to be used for erosion control along with geotextile to hold the dirt.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
That's what the engineer wants.

Keep in mind that the insurance company hired the engineer for consultation. It's a homeowner, not commercial property.
I was curious if it was a space thing or not?
What about removing the block wall and the vertical slopes, then lay down 2 layers of the heavier geotextile fabric , and then cover it with 18"-24" limestone, then fill in the gaps with a 4"◊8" and 8"◊12" mix of limestone?

We don't see very much Gabion wall work around us, I think mostly because of having such a vertical drop near a body of water, even though the stream is not very deep. They only do it where there is not enough room to shape a new slope, and place rip-rap on it.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Mabee try running the idea by the engineer of re-sloping the creek banks , and stabilizing them with rip rap and filter cloth.

It was mentioned but they do beleive that gabion baskets are more suited. From what I understand the property was filled in more years ago and theres alot of pressure that was behind the old retaining wall.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
I was curious if it was a space thing or not?
What about removing the block wall and the vertical slopes, then lay down 2 layers of the heavier geotextile fabric , and then cover it with 18"-24" limestone, then fill in the gaps with a 4"◊8" and 8"◊12" mix of limestone?

We don't see very much Gabion wall work around us, I think mostly because of having such a vertical drop near a body of water, even though the stream is not very deep. They only do it where there is not enough room to shape a new slope, and place rip-rap on it.
I done a project last year similar to what your talking about, we put in 20" rocks in the bank and concreted everything into place. Has not budged since. That was a fun project. We were going to use gabion baskets on that project until the homeowner saw the price and compared it to rocks and concrete.

Gabion baskets are popular around here, especialy on creek banks.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
It was mentioned but they do beleive that gabion baskets are more suited. From what I understand the property was filled in more years ago and theres alot of pressure that was behind the old retaining wall.

Missed that post.....
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doesnt look like a hard job to do at all.

Number one, you arnt going to pump that creek. If you think 2,500 gpm pump will keep up your in for a MASSIVE surprise. All you need is a floating sediment break wall out in the water. If you must have a dry work area then your needing to use a portable dam system. Google dam-it-dams, he can ship you a dam to rent. Figure 5k if you need one.

Knock that dirt down behind the wall so its all a gentle slope and gives you good access behind it.

Rip the concrete out with the exc. and use a CTL to bring it up and out.

I cant see that job being more than 2 weeks if that. As long as you have two guys on machines and 3 or 4 laborers.